Mounting a gen 1 alpha to a gen 2 housing.

Rukus1

Cadet
I'm in a real pinch. I have a boat that needs to be in the water by the weekend. The drive is trashed and I have no alpha one gen 2 drives available. Engine is a 4.3L. I have a beautiful rebuilt gen 1 drive for a 4.3.

What would I need to change on the gimbal housing to make this work? Looks like the shift shaft for sure. Even though this boat had a gen 2 it did not have a lube monitor bottle so that won't matter. Besides shift shaft will everything else bolt on ok?

Bondo

Staff member
I'm in a real pinch. I have a boat that needs to be in the water by the weekend. The drive is trashed and I have no alpha one gen 2 drives available. Engine is a 4.3L. I have a beautiful rebuilt gen 1 drive for a 4.3.

What would I need to change on the gimbal housing to make this work? Looks like the shift shaft for sure. Even though this boat had a gen 2 it did not have a lube monitor bottle so that won't matter. Besides shift shaft will everything else bolt on ok?
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... That is where the difference is, but I've no idea how much of it needs changing, or if it'll work after you do it,.....

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I Don't know this as a fact,......
But I believe that 1/4" difference is where the Gen. 2 as a plastic wear plate on each side of the ring,.....

Scott06

Vice Admiral

There was a guy on here who just did this maybe six months ago, you maybe able to find the thread. I think he swapped in a gen one bellhousing don’t know if that was just the easiest way to get the shift linkage or if bell housing is different

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Ive never attempted this but I'd be leery of an alpha 1 drive mounted to a gen ii bell housing. As stated you'd need swap at least the shift shaft. Might work but I wouldn't trust it for long

If I had the parts and time I'd try an alpha 1 bell housing in place of the gen ii. Still wonky but would probably work temporarily, I wouldn't run it long this way though.

Can't imagine any boat needing to be lake ready without a proper compatible engine/drive system in place. Not to impugn your situation/boat but I've seen some cobbled things before and most of them worked okay but these were not what I would consider "nice" boats

mrzooom

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Exactly! Yeah I'm that guy from six months ago... Anyway, I ended up swapping the bell because of two reasons. 1) the shift shaft on the gen 2 is longer and won't mesh with gen 1 shaft. Will not come together for obvious reason. 2) the big castle nut housing the horizontal drive shaft is about an 1/8th inch too big around and the gen 2 will not accommodate it as the u-joint drive side bellows retaining ring (lip of ring) gets in the way.
I tried to swap bell housing shift shaft but I could not get it to work and couldn't get it done.
I had it water bound but only problem was I have yet to find a prop to compensate for the slight difference in gear ratio from the motor to out drive. Other than that which I am still researching for a prop that will approach the wot I had before I killed the upper gear case on the gen 2.
Anyway hope this helps!
Scott

mrzooom

Petty Officer 3rd Class
There was a guy on here who just did this maybe six months ago, you maybe able to find the thread. I think he swapped in a gen one bellhousing don’t know if that was just the easiest way to get the shift linkage or if bell housing is different
That guy is back! Anyway, I posted down below 2 postings in ya'll care to read...

mrzooom

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah, see down below. I used the beel housing from the gen 1 in the end. More on that below!

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Exactly! Yeah I'm that guy from six months ago... Anyway, I ended up swapping the bell because of two reasons. 1) the shift shaft on the gen 2 is longer and won't mesh with gen 1 shaft. Will not come together for obvious reason. 2) the big castle nut housing the horizontal drive shaft is about an 1/8th inch too big around and the gen 2 will not accommodate it as the u-joint drive side bellows retaining ring (lip of ring) gets in the way.
I tried to swap bell housing shift shaft but I could not get it to work and couldn't get it done.
I had it water bound but only problem was I have yet to find a prop to compensate for the slight difference in gear ratio from the motor to out drive. Other than that which I am still researching for a prop that will approach the wot I had before I killed the upper gear case on the gen 2.
Anyway hope this helps!
Scott
Thanks for chiming in , I couldn't find the thread. What was the ratio difference between the two drives?

mrzooom

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Anyway hope this helps!
Scott
Actually. It was a thread where Bondo suggested it was possible to do so he deserves all the credit! Thanks again Bondo!

mrzooom

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for chiming in , I couldn't find the thread. What was the ratio difference between the two drives?
The gen 2 was 1:62 I believe and I replaced with the gen 1 @ 1:50. This forum suggested if I found a prop pitched down two steps that I should find similar WOT... I'm still trying...

Scott06

Vice Admiral
The gen 2 was 1:62 I believe and I replaced with the gen 1 @ 1:50. This forum suggested if I found a prop pitched down two steps that I should find similar WOT... I'm still trying...
Yes drop 2” in pitch and should be basically the same rpm.

mrzooom

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes drop 2” in pitch and should be basically the same rpm.
Ok, but I was running 2 different props (I think) anyway;
1) 22 x 19 P, and 2) 14 1/2 x 21 P... So what should I try next? Like 16 x 18?
Please advise?
Thanks, Scott

Bondo

Staff member
Ok, but I was running 2 different props (I think) anyway;
1) 22 x 19 P, and 2) 14 1/2 x 21 P... So what should I try next? Like 16 x 18?
Please advise?
Thanks, Scott
Ayuh,..... You can't spin a 22" diameter prop on an Alpha drive,.....

If you can't spin the rpms you need with a 21" or a 19" prop, drop down to a 17" prop,....