marketplace/Craigslist pet peeves.....

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
am I the only one who peruses the Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist looking at/for old boats in need of some love......

I find it annoying though when there are incomplete/incorrect details posted with the boats..... No length, No mention of engine, No mention of paperwork (AZ is simple, its a non-title state), Wrong years (engine/drive dont jive with claimed year), Wrong drive called out.....

I can understand that some/most dont know what they have, but come on, 99% of that information is on your paperwork from the state..... and correct information will help you get your price a bit easier, and keep the tire kickers away.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Have never sold anything w/o personnel contact.

Ads primary purpose is to generate interest and hopefully initate contact. Too much information negates the need for contact

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
most of the time if the seller doesnt know anything about it, avoid it. that means it is most likely not in their name legally.

I always peruse CL and FM.

ScottinAZ

most of the time if the seller doesnt know anything about it, avoid it. that means it is most likely not in their name legally.

I always peruse CL and FM.
AZ, all you need is the bill of sale..... makes things a bit easier, but can be a bit dodgier as well.... Trailers have a lifetime plate, so NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY has the title to them in their name.... EVER....

cptbill

I look at Craig's list and had bought and sold on Craig's list, the biggest issue I have is the amount of fake adds posted by people trying to scam or the amount of contacts that are fake. I only do phone contacts no email or texts

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The only things I don't like about the sites are nouns......People, Places and Things.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkUtNfYkgT9hqqQvPh-ysEDBK7thxIJtfaFA&usqp=CAU

FLATHEAD

Commander
The scammers are pretty easy to spot.
As for adds lacking detail. A reply with a couple basic questions can usually flush out a pig in a poke.

ScottinAZ

Dont like them, dont use them, pretty simple. jmo
somewhat easier said than done..... without using these sources, you are pretty much down to what you see on the roadside (just as hit or miss) or a dealer.....

my gripe isnt with the resource, its with the users..... You would think if you were selling something, you would get the details right on it, to make it easier to sell, and get your best price on it. Sometimes details get lost, but these are like saying you have a 1969 Camaro for sale, but the pics show a 1977 Caprice instead..... different markets for sure, and a much different value... of course the opposite also shows up, and you find a "hidden gem". but the seller is then cutting their own throats.....

Ive got my eyes on one right now, listed as a "1983" but the Alpha One Gen 2 drive and gen 2 4.3 v-6 belie the year as early to mid 90's...... another was a "1998 Chris Craft that was actually a much earlier boat, as it had a flat top Cobra drive and a carbureted 5.8 Ford motor....

tphoyt

Ensign
I got a boat from a friend once that lived out of state but said he would give me the title when he got back. Well he couldn’t find it and then passed away a few weeks later. Through talking with mutual friends later in life I was able to track down the 2 previous owners and low a behold one of them still had a copy of the title in his file cabinet. Armed with the title number I was able to get a duplicate title with now problem.
I got lucky as dealing with the state is a big problem.

stresspoint

Ensign
AI chat bots are starting to show up in the classifieds here , especially if you post a wanted add .

example : i posted an add in the wanted section in the local to me classifieds for a ECAS controller for my Iveco truck .
so many return emails saying"" i have what you are looking for , etc , how much are you expecting to pay ,
and the best one was ,what is your address i will post to you leave your bank details and payment will be agreed after you receive .or something along those lines..

not one of the emails confirmed to me that the chat bot even knew what a ECAS controller was or what it was for , hence the reason i knew it was not a real person messaging.

ScottinAZ

AI chat bots are starting to show up in the classifieds here , especially if you post a wanted add .

example : i posted an add in the wanted section in the local to me classifieds for a ECAS controller for my Iveco truck .
so many return emails saying"" i have what you are looking for , etc , how much are you expecting to pay ,
and the best one was ,what is your address i will post to you leave your bank details and payment will be agreed after you receive .or something along those lines..

not one of the emails confirmed to me that the chat bot even knew what a ECAS controller was or what it was for , hence the reason i knew it was not a real person messaging.
scammers gonna scam.....

you would think with the effort they put forth to scam people, they could make just as much with a legitimate job.....