latest aquisitions.....

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
as part of the "deal" where I got my Four Winns boat, I got a pair of Polaris Jetskis as well. Both are 1995 model year, one is an SL750, the other is an SLT750.

The SL has engine problems... one cylinder is open and very rusted. This may be a total loss.... I really wont know until I pull the engine and check how bad the water damage is (if any) in the bottom end. The ports are exposed, so I dont have much hope honestly.... (at least engines on eBay are relatively cheap, Im not into these for any more than gas the way I figure....) All cables are siezed at this time.

The SLT I have much more hope for. Carbs are off, but in the front compartment (and seemingly unmolested) with a carb kit. I pulled the plugs today, and the engine will roll over with light pressure from a screwdriver through the plug hole, so the engine is at least free..... and seemingly a better starting point. This one also needs ALL the cables (eBay here I come....)

Neither is cosmetically anything to write home about, but hey, they came "free" with the boat. I figure I have about $150 into them just for the gas to go get them..... The carbs alone are worth that to sell on eBay (I have two racks, one for each ski).

Plan is to get the SLT up and running, and then see what happens. Maybe I sell them on, maybe I keep them.... Right now I have two full size boats, and a pair of broken jetskis.....

If anyone has any insight on where to get some of the more "rare" parts that are unobtainum through usual sources, Im open. I figure given the age, most will be Ebay parts I get. I already have plans to get the manuals before I start really tearing into them. I also plan to run premix.... I dont trust 30 year old oil injection TBH, at least with premix, you KNOW you are getting oil.

Attachments

• image0 (83).jpeg
    image0 (83).jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 4
  • image1 (64).jpeg
    image1 (64).jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
  • image3 (31).jpeg
    image3 (31).jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
  • image4 (24).jpeg
    image4 (24).jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 4
  • image2 (47).jpeg
    image2 (47).jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 4

alldodge

Staff member
Congrats on getting the boat, and sorry or also got the watercraft free.

I would put them straight up on Craigs list and market place and offer them free to anyone else. Free boats will almost always cost more then they are worth. Just taking them to the dump will cost

ScottinAZ

Congrats on getting the boat, and sorry or also got the watercraft free.

I would put them straight up on Craigs list and market place and offer them free to anyone else. Free boats will almost always cost more then they are worth. Just taking them to the dump will cost

thats a possibility..... I may just part them out. As stated, I figure they dont owe me much if anything. they do however give me something to tinker with.... the SLT I figure needs about $200 in parts to get it lakeworthy..... the other one... a bit more... If I can get the one done for cheap, and the wife doesnt insist on keeping it..... I can probably sell it for about as much as I bought the whole shebang for..... time will tell.... I will say, I am more of a "boat" guy than a "PWC" guy, so that may play into it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I've been a "jetskier" for 30+ years, and have owned several since 1999. So, I may not be an expert, but I kinda know some things.

A 29 year old Yamaha or Seadoo 'ski is an iffy proposition. A Polaris of any age is bad karma. Don't spend a dime and offer them for free.

ScottinAZ

I've been a "jetskier" for 30+ years, and have owned several since 1999. So, I may not be an expert, but I kinda know some things.

A 29 year old Yamaha or Seadoo 'ski is an iffy proposition. A Polaris of any age is bad karma. Don't spend a dime and offer them for free.

what are the issues with Polaris that left such a bad taste in your mouth?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
what are the issues with Polaris that left such a bad taste in your mouth?
Traditionally, if you wanted an exhilarating ride you bought a SeaDoo. If you wanted extreme reliability you bought a Yamaha. If you wanted high speed you bought a Kawasaki. If you didn't care about ugliness, you bought a Honda. And finally, if you wanted cheap, you bought a Polaris.

Never owned one, but I have ridden one. Any friend that had one got rid of it fast. They don't ride well and are known for engine problems. Few dealers around and they service more 4-wheelers than 'skis. A friend got 2 used ones cheap (he is a mechanic) and had trouble getting parts.

Google their reviews and see if you can find a positive one. The fact that they have been out of business for some time tells the whole story.

If you WANT a 'ski, buy a second hand Yami FX 4-stroke.