Jet Engine vs Mud motor

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
After a full year of using multiple outboards at the river I am finally ready to admit defeat. A standard outboard motor isn't the best option for me in the rock bed shallow river I frequent. I am going to get either a mud motor or a jet motor. Does anyone have experience with both and which would be ideal?

I fish a shallow river in Greenwood/Waverly Indiana. I have a 16 foot flat bottom jon boat.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
jet boats will bounce off big rocks and suck up small rocks, however are generally better for skinny water than a standard outboard. you do loose a lot of efficiency

mud motors still have a prop, prop may still hit rocks. Most are lawn and garden motors with a tail fitted, so sound deadening isnt their strong suit.

JohnSz

Cadet
I have a 90/65 Yamaha jet on a 17' G3 flatbottom, but it has a tunnel for it. You can find allot of jet info on this site: Outboard Jets They make all the jet pumps for the major outboard brands. Your boat will need modifications, such as a taller transom.

No experience with a mud motor. Only can say, that the part of the Susquehanna we run, there are more jets than mud motors.

With a jet, you need to be in about 2' of water to take off, get on plane quickly, and navigate the shallow water on plane, probably at or above 20mph. Total weight and distribution are key.

It has been a game changer for us. No more drift trips and setting up the second vehicle. Pull out were we put in.

Last edited: