Inflatable boat trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterfrog

Recruit
Re: Inflatable boat trailer?

I'm only going to be launching at fresh water lakes/rivers. I'll be towing with a Toyota Land Cruiser (I know, it's a bit of an overkill to tow this setup, but that's our family car and the only vehicle we have that we can fit our toddlers and their travel items).

Hmmm...I was getting really excited about this little HF trailer since it's foldable since I don't really have any space to part a trailer fulltime. Anyone has any other ideas on a space-saving trailer setup for a 12 foot SIB?

Mlmg

Cadet

I just put together a Harbor Freight trailer for my Zodiac, and I researched numerous sites about this trailer...I bought Bearing buddies, I plan on letting the hubs cool down before dunking them in the water (I need to setup the boat anyway), and i am using a good marine synthetic grease. i also bookmarked on my home PC the Timken bearings I could use and I actually was sent an extra pair of bearings, they are currently greased up and sitting in a plastic bag,,,just in case.

There is a forum called Tear Drop Trailers where I found a wealth of information..and I really didn't notice HUGE bearing issues from these guys. Any trailer you use you should stay on top of the greasing...

saabsaviorlee

Seaman

This is still a work in progress but I opted for the 12" wheels and rather than lower the fender to be flush I built a frame that sits on the trailer frame and then put the decking on top. this way the fenders are completely covered and have the added benefit of slightly larger wheels. Some paint and 2 rolls of gray indoor outdoor carpet from home depot and it's just about done. I'll add more pics once completed with the boat on top!

20130221_212049_20130326103318681.jpg

20130227_210352_20130326103419701.jpg

20130227_211340_20130326103504532.jpg

20130319_202137_20130326103555328.jpg

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Honestly unless the boat is fully setup with outboard on and ready to go I am not sure I would deal with a trailer. Instead I would just get a good air pump, and deal with it on scene.

I just put together a Harbor Freight trailer for my Zodiac, and I researched numerous sites about this trailer...I bought Bearing buddies, I plan on letting the hubs cool down before dunking them in the water (I need to setup the boat anyway), and i am using a good marine synthetic grease.
What kind of a seal did you use for the inside? That is the one I would worry about failing. If you look at a true marine seal it is a double seal. The key is to pressurize with grease right before dropping the trailer into the water. The hubs have a zerk fitting on the inside also. Careful because they are fragile fittings. Both of mine broke and I replaced them.

i also bookmarked on my home PC the Timken bearings I could use and I actually was sent an extra pair of bearings, they are currently greased up and sitting in a plastic bag,,,just in case.
Do you have a part number for the Timken bearings? I would mind having a spare set for my HF trailer. I don't feel like tearing it down again to measure...although I did take pictures of the bearing part numbers...somewhere.

There is a forum called Tear Drop Trailers where I found a wealth of information..and I really didn't notice HUGE bearing issues from these guys. Any trailer you use you should stay on top of the greasing...
The issues are well documented as I too did a bunch of research. The trailer is also commonly used by motorcyclists. I fully welded my trailer and it is much stiffer.

Why not build bunks instead of an elaborate system? Bunks for a light boat would be aluminum angle, with boards on top. No welding needed. Use square u-bolts around the trailer to the aluminum angle.

As you can see mine failed, but my boat weighs 500lbs with a 40hp outboard hanging over the back. It was the rocking back and forth that broke them because they were loose. I replaced them with aluminum u-channel, but welded in t fittings so it can not rock side to side anymore. All that won't be needed with a super light boat.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Trailer upright.jpg
    Trailer upright.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 1

shutterfrog

Recruit

Saabsaviorlee, thanks for sharing your design. Are you having the platforms be removable so you can quickly fold up the trailer or are you intending on bolting them in? I would be very interested to know how your trailer works out.

My interest in having a trailer for the inflatable is to reduce the set up and take down time at the lake. Setting it up or packing it up by myself with two toddlers around gets old real quick (and the kids get inpatient). Right now it takes me around one hour from the time that I pull up to unload the car to having the boat in the water with everything loaded in it. The boat's hard floorboards and the side stringers are a pain to put in but I'm hoping that I'll get better and quicker as time goes on. The take down time for me is just as long with drying the boat and packing everything away. With a trailer, at least I can have the boat pumped up at home the night before so all we have to do is to load it and put it in the water when we get to the lake. Also, if we're going out two days in a row, I can just leave the boat on the trailer overnight without setting it up and taking it down each day.

In my research, there are two other similar but much more expensive foldable trailers to the HF ones. One is from Northern Tools (Trailers: ATV, Boat + Utility Trailers | Trailers + Trailer Parts | Northern Tool + Equipment) and the other is from Red Trailers (SJ-8510 - Folding Trailer Kit - RedTrailers.com). Anyone knows about or have experience with these trailers? Are they really worth the price difference from the HF version?

saabsaviorlee

Seaman

hey shutterfrog, I too got sick of setup and take down at the water's edge hence this project. I have the deck in two pieces to help keep it a little more manageable when folding and storing. The frame is secured by the 2x4 receivers with a single lag screw to keep it from bouncing up and out if towing empty. It takes 4 bolts to fold the trailer anyway so another 8 lag screws isn't much, but it's not permanently installed by any means.

As for the other trailers I can't speak of craftsmanship but the HF trailer is built in China so take that for what its worth and the tongue on the pricier ones looks a bit longer.

20130327_202219_20130328124337291.jpg

shutterfrog

Recruit

Thanks for your advice and input Saabsaviorlee. Don't mind if I steal some ideas from your design.

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Looks like few posts are lost due to this site's problem...

Anyhow here's how mine looks like. It is 8" tire version with simple 1/2 pressure treated plywood with automotive undercoating spray on the all edges to seal and indoor/outdoor carpet without fender for now. It works great! Easy in and out.

BTW It took way longer than I anticipated to get the trailer assembled and deck built thou. The coupler didn't work initially and grease fitting broke. Put nice quality marine bearing grease. Tried to install Bearing Buddy but didn't work, which I gave up.

Attachments

• photo200663.JPG
    photo200663.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Grmmini

Recruit
Trying to bump this thread hopefully I can get some help. I picked up this Avon supersport s345 I think 11.5 feet. It came on this trailer fairly long tongue and want to make sure I can safely tow it up north and around. What suggestion could you all offer! Thanks in advance

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Do you have a pic of the same trailer without the Rib sitting on it ?

Happy Boating

jbcurt00

Staff member
Trying to bump this thread hopefully I can get some help. I picked up this Avon supersport s345 I think 11.5 feet. It came on this trailer fairly long tongue and want to make sure I can safely tow it up north and around. What suggestion could you all offer! Thanks in advance
Start a topic about your boat & trailer, rather then hijacking someone else's topic, especially 1 that's nearly a decade old.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.