I have a 30hp Yamaha 2 stroke 3cylinder 1991 2nd spark not firing any ideas?

sjhaas88

Recruit
I have a 30hp 2 stroke 3cylinder 1991 Yamaha out board that want plane out thought the second coil was bad got another even moved them around and pull the second boot off and no difference pull the third boot off ran ruff pull the first boot automatically cuts off. But like I said pull second one no difference. Any ideas ?
Also new spark plugs

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on all leads , yes or no?----Also post the compression actual values.----Sounds like only #1 is producing the correct power.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
copression test, and then use a timing light to see if each cylinder is sparking at the correct time.
if no good spark on one or more cylinders, measure the peak voltages into and out of the CDI
I see it has a charge coil and Lighting coils, but the pulser coils signals to tell when to spark must be in the stator
if those are good then you are left with the fuel to air ratio being off.
too much or too little fuel to air will not let the spark burn the fuel

sjhaas88

Recruit
copression test, and then use a timing light to see if each cylinder is sparking at the correct time.

How do you check the fuel to air ratio

sjhaas88

Recruit
if no good spark on one or more cylinders, measure the peak voltages into and out of the CDI
I see it has a charge coil and Lighting coils, but the pulser coils signals to tell when to spark must be in the stator
Waiting on the compression kit to get here and let you know

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on a test device.-----Or is the importance of this test mis-understood ?

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does the bad cylinder have a sparkplug that is oily compared to the other 2 cylinder sparkplugs. Rare but a sparkplug can NOT create a spark when voltage is applied to it.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
only a bad spark plug can do that.
back in my younger days working at an automotive dealership ,I ran across a few new plugs that were bad