How do I troubleshoot the solar panel of my lift?

JDusza

Ensign
I need help troubleshooting a solar panel lift for a Malibu ski boat.
Hewitt lift. New battery. New SunKeeper 6 Solar Charge Controller. I do believe I have it wired correctly.
Why does my battery not charge? What should I measure off the battery when it is supposed to be charging? Is it like a car at 13.5 volts?
If I disconnect the solar panel and put the 2 leads of the panel across a meter, I see 18 VDC. I'm not an electrical guy but I think I understand voltage is nothing without fortitude. So how can I measure the current coming out of the panel?
Any help is appreciated.
J

tpenfield

Staff member
12 volt battery? How many watts is the solar panel rated for?

What type of battery? ( lead-acid, Lithium, etc.?)

tpenfield

Staff member
I just took a look at the manual . . . what are you seeing for the status light?

Got any pictures of the wiring setup that you can post?

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Put a volt meter on your battery, if it does not have 12 volts the panel will not charge the battery.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
To troubleshoot your lift's solar panel, start by checking connections for any loose wires or corrosion. Ensure the panel is receiving adequate sunlight and isn't shaded by nearby objects. Test the voltage output with a multimeter to verify it's generating power correctly. If the panel seems fine, examine the lift's electrical components for any issues. If problems persist, consult a professional technician for further assistance.
Thank you, Chatgpt

I just took a look at the manual . . . what are you seeing for the status light?

Got any pictures of the wiring setup that you can post?
Where's the manual? I couldn't find a solar lift when I built mine, I'm curious about this one

Op, you're getting voltage out of the panel, so you should be getting some charge. You can put an ammeter between the panel and battery to see what it's putting out. Then see if you're getting voltage out of your controller.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Again check battery voltage, we use the same solar panels in landfills around the country, a new under voltage battery is a common problem.

JDusza

Ensign
Thank you all. There's so much to say.
The SunKeeper appears to be working according to directions. I don't have the panel plugged in right now so I can't show the complete wiring. The picture I do have includes a wired on/off switch and battery charger clamps so it is messy at best.
I found the panel to be an ICPGlobal BatterySAVER PRO so I think the specs are 15W at 1A. This means 15 volts out. I've got 18 volts.
The battery is a nEverStart. It may not even be a deep cycle. I'll have to look at that.
I've seen some info suggesting serious lifters use of two (2) 800 cca, deep cycle batteries, at 10 watts, so I'm thinking I'm just asking too much from the battery I have.
I'm gonna take a look at my meter capabilities and see if I can measure Idc.
Thank you,
J