Hi-Lex side mount control

Mikepasc8

Recruit
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding a Hi-Lex side mount control module on my 1986 mercruiser 3.0. Specifically any sort of wiring diagram as to where to terminate the blue wires coming off the micro switch located on the box. Forgive my novice but is that switch the neutral safety switch? I'm in the middle of a project that required me to remove my side panel and mount so I figured I would clean up the controls while I was at it and think I may have done more harm than good at this point as the boat is not starting and I'm hoping it is something as silly as that blue wire being what tells the engine that we are in neutral. Again, apologize for the beginner question, just trying to learn.

Attachments

• IMG_3255.png
    IMG_3255.png
    1,019.8 KB · Views: 5

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
trim wires will be green for down and blue for up

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Normally we'd see the neutral safety switch wires from the controller as yel/red

The controller in the picture looks a bit on the older side and is not a mercury/mercruiser branded controller from 1986. It's possible the oem controller has been replaced and someone used an older, aftermarket controller that predates NMMA wire color spec.

That said, the two lighter colored blue wires are most likely the neutral safety switch wires. Best practice on your part is to test them, either with an ohm meter or even connecting them to the corresponding wires in the boat harness and attempting to start the engine

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
lemme check the Hi-lex that I have sitting around.... Ill try and answer for sure later today.....

IIRC, the light blue wires are the neutral switch.

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
ok, just checked my "spare parts" Hi-Lex controls, and the light blue wires going into the back of the controller are for your neutral switch. The other three go directly into the handle for your trim. If your boat is not starting, as a TEMPORARY MEASURE, you can join the two light blue wires together and bypass the switch entirely. DO NOT KEEP IT THIS WAY, as your boat can then start in gear......

first pic is the switch, its in between the two "plates" and is a PITA to get at without disassembling the control, as seen in the second pic (yeah, that switch is busted....)... third pic is the three wires for the trim going directly into the grip handle....

Attachments

• IMG_1374.jpeg
    IMG_1374.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1375.jpeg
    IMG_1375.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1376.jpeg
    IMG_1376.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4

Mikepasc8

Recruit
ok, just checked my "spare parts" Hi-Lex controls, and the light blue wires going into the back of the controller are for your neutral switch. The other three go directly into the handle for your trim. If your boat is not starting, as a TEMPORARY MEASURE, you can join the two light blue wires together and bypass the switch entirely. DO NOT KEEP IT THIS WAY, as your boat can then start in gear......

first pic is the switch, its in between the two "plates" and is a PITA to get at without disassembling the control, as seen in the second pic (yeah, that switch is busted....)... third pic is the three wires for the trim going directly into the grip handle....
They were indeed the neutral safety switch wires. Much appreciated for all the help gentlemen! Happy safe boating season to you all!