help a mercruiser boy figure which volvo drive is needed.

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello

Considering picking up a project with two volvo XDP drives. I will be getting rid of the XDP drives and transoms, and keeping the engines. No question about it. I want to go to two aluminum volvo duoprop drives. When I search for them, I see a bunch of different drives, such as DP-S, DP-SX, SX-DP, DP-SM, DPS-A, Oceanx, etc. First question is do these drives all use the same transoms? Any common problems to watch out with any of these drives? Are all the props interchangeable with these drives?

Secondly, have the transoms changed much? any significant updates or problems to be aware of?

Thanks

dubs283

Vice Admiral
You'd be best with any late model A series DPS drive and transom assy. Only issue I see could be flywheel housing/rear mounts may be different from the X to the A inner transom plate. Kinda doubt volvo would get that specific but you never know, might just install fine

The older M series drives and transom assys are getting harder to source new/reman. Pretty sure you can't even buy an M series transom assy complete any more