First Post: My adventure in boating. 1988 Sea Ray Seville 200 from the beginning

Struc

Chief Petty Officer
Re: First Post: My adventure in boating. 1988 Sea Ray Seville 200 from the beginn

Thanks for the tip! I was thinking about buying some Smart Tabs anyway, so this gives me even more motivation. With that big swim deck off each side of the back, they certainly won't get in the way of anything!

In other news...
Spent the day in the horrid humidity stripping the parts boat down. Got the bump rail off and top and bottom halves loose in preperation for starting to cut it up. Pulled out all the interior seats, etc. Yanked the side panels. Pulled off all trim around the boat. Took some pictures of the wreckage. :D

IMG_2451s.jpgIMG_2453s.jpgIMG_2455s.jpgIMG_2456s.jpgIMG_2457s.jpg

DustinJean

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: First Post: My adventure in boating. 1988 Sea Ray Seville 200 from the beginn

looks like a good project and always nice to have a parts boat, and a little off topic but nice vr4 in the garage, I've been trying to get one from a friends for a while but he wont let it go or finish it lol

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

looks like a good project and always nice to have a parts boat, and a little off topic but nice vr4 in the garage, I've been trying to get one from a friends for a while but he wont let it go or finish it lol

Thanks! That is the 2nd one I've had. Picked it up for $1500 almost 2 years ago now with known issues and have gone through it pretty well and fixed it up to be a reliable, fun car.

The boat has really taken up all my time and interest this summer, though. I'm a car guy by nature, and have been for a very long time, but there is something REALLY addictive about this place and boats in general.

As an update to my thread, I've been working hard at the destruction of the parts boat. I'm going to start a new thread about that with pictures to keep it out of my thread here.

Had the boat out last weekend for the 4th voyage. Had an issue with the boat dying when we first got on the water. It went away. I *think* I just filled the gas tank too full and the vent line had gas in it, so it was creating a vacuum (not letting the fuel pump get gas) which would go away after a little while. The boat would always restart after a while, and low speed would go for a while, but as soon as I would gun it at all, it would die. I guess we'll see if my theory was right next time I take it out. It ran perfectly the rest of the day after it stopped dying (first 15 minutes on the water or so).

The story behind the tank being too full is that I needed to do something with the gas from the parts boat, and I ran out of fuel containers, so I dumped as much as I could in the boat, emptying a gas can. I got about 15 gallons of gas out of the parts boat. :D Added bonus.

Oldrod 47

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice buy,normally dont't like green trim but kind of like this one. Some good scrounging in your part. HOAs are a pain where the sun don't shine. Soft spot in my heart for Sea Ray's plan to follow your adventures. Be sure to read friscoboaters thread.

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

Oh, I've read Friscoboaters thread at length, as well as watched all the videos. I started doing that before I even bought the boat(s).

Thanks, BTW. I really like this green as well. Once I get the sun fade removed, it should look even better. I've done some tests with rubbing compound, and the oxidation seems to come off pretty well, so when I'm done ripping apart my parts boat, I'll turn to fixing up my keeper, and that is one of the first things I want to do.

As you can see in my signature, I've started a demolition thread. It can be found here: Demolition Thread

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

Not too much to report, but thought I'd drop in and update.

Didn't make it back out again. Last weekend when the weather was 80 in Wisconsin and would have been the perfect weekend on the lake for the last voyage of the year, I was in Atlanta on business. :-( REALLY depressed about that.

Spent some time doing better inspections on a lot of the boat yesterday. The bottom actually has some pretty good gouges I'll have to repair at some point. Don't see any that really puncture into the fiberglass, but the gel coat is pretty much scraped off right to the fiberglass in several spots.

Was checking out the trailer, and realized yesterday that my trailer brakes have never worked. I guess the Durango's brakes are much better than I thought. So, I need to buy a new master cylinder for it - may just buy a whole new head. Probably good insurance, since something else could fail, and the same model is only about $160 on Amazon.com. We'll see.

Also sent the VIN off to EZ Loader, and they emailed me back within hours with all the specs on the thing. I was amazed! It's a 1989 trailer, so I'd hazard a guess that it was in fact the original trailer for my parts boat. However, they said it came as a bunk trailer, so somebody must have converted it to roller. Maybe even the Sea Ray dealer that sold the boat. Sure looks original. Trailer brakes too for that matter - looks like they were added at some point.

Plan for the winter: Start with the engine. It's getting pulled and stripped down to a short block and everything gets new gaskets and a good cleaning. If anything looks like it needs it, it'll be getting a full rebuild. The carb absolutely needs a good rebuild, and the heads will be taken to a shop to be checked out and maybe a refresh. Will also be buying new exhaust manifolds, although I haven't decided on a brand or if I go aluminum or not.

The boat itself needs some interior work done. At least one of the jump seats needs a new plywood base (cracked), and the whole headrest/back of boat cover thing needs to be redone with new wood. I'd love to do new material at the same time, but probably will just restore what is there. Engine cover also needs to be rebuilt completely. Trying to think of some new designs for the back area, as I HATE the seat boxes next to the engine - makes it impossible to work on.

I'll start a restoration thread for the work I do on the engine / interior. If the engine work doesn't take too long this winter, I may work on the stringer/floor repair that is needed. I've decided that it's not bad enough to HAVE to do immediately, and I don't want to get stuck with a boat in dry dock for next year, so things will need to be timed out properly. Worst case, I work on the floor & stringers next winter. I will probably pull up the gas tank while the engine is out just to check out the stringers and make sure I don't have a worse problem than I think I do.

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I guess I have some news to report. First of all, for those who don't follow the Mercruiser forum:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=520824

Cracked Block! Eh... I still feel I got the boat for a song, so I'm not too upset about it. Just picked up a Chevy 1500 Silverado 4.3l motor tonight for $200 to replace the block. I'll keep updating the other thread with pictures and progress on the engine front.

I also took some time to drill some test holes in the transom and stringers. My initial conclusion was correct. Everything is solid except one small area at the rear of the fuel tank area. Everywhere else is dry and solid. I did 4 test holes (2 top, 2 bottom) on the transom, and everything looked great [whew!]. The other thing that probably needs attention is the motor mounts. They are still pretty solid, but the glass over them is cracked like water got in there and swelled the wood. They will need to be redone at some point.

I did find my rear seat boxes are pretty rotted. Hard to imagine that the floor, stringers (for the most part), and transom are fine, but the seat boxes are falling apart. Eh, I want to get rid of them anyway, so I'll probably work on that this winter too. Trying to come up with a design that will keep the seats, but remove the "box" so that I can work on the motor easier. We'll see.

vscribner

Recruit

I've often wondered that too, but the whole darn thing must have been replaced then, because it's black on the inside, outside, and lower unit. My 1989 parts boat is the same way, so I'm not sure if it was factory or not. My engine's serial number doesn't match the one in the owners manual either, so maybe the whole thing was swapped at some point. Probably no way to know.

Struc, I've had a 88 Seray Seville 1800 since 1994. 4.3L Mercruiser with Alpha 1 all black. Wallowing side to side at no wake speeds I have found to be due to not trimming boat down/in when coming off plane. May want to make final adjustments to shifter in the water with a friend to help. The water pressure against the prop makes a difference. Cheers

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

So, here is my Spring 2012 update...

Post #27 above had the link to my engine rebuild thread. I decided to just move forward with a used short block I picked up, and rebuild the heads, and go from there. The other thread spells out all of what I did, so I won't go into it again.

Since then, I have had the boat out twice and will be going out again on Saturday. Everything has been great with the boat, or at least, as good as I can expect for a 25 year old boat that I'm restoring.

I started in on trying to clean up the gel coat. It is severely oxidized, and needs quite a bit of work to bring the color back out. I'm not done yet, but here are some pictures of what it looks like. The first picture is where I removed a sticker. You can really see how the oxidation ruins the color and turns it to a milky look.

IMG_3085s.jpg

This is the left side at the rear that I haven't touched yet:

IMG_3090s.jpg

This is the right side, which is pretty much done, minus a finishing coat of wax.

IMG_3089s.jpg

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

I also have a new addition to the boat. I installed these last weekend before going out on the lake and I am EXTREMELY happy with them.

IMG_3094s.jpg

IMG_3093s.jpg

Since the install, my back and forth wander at low speeds is COMPLETELY gone. If for no other reason, it was worth the purchase price for that alone! Where I launch, I have a pretty long distance of "no wake" before I get out in the main part of the lake, and the wander just bugged the heck out of me.

Bow rise at take off is also greatly reduced. It also seems to stay on a plane better at lower speeds.

Top end speeds seem about the same, but my boat always felt very stable and controlled at higher speeds anyway, as long as the outdrive was trimmed properly.

All in all, I'd highly recommend them to anyone with any of the above issues. I bought them right here on iBoats.

http://www.iboats.com/SX-Smart-Tabs...5395009--session_id.903799405--view_id.352488