Evinrude 120 v4 no spark

Ant1387

Recruit
Hi please help, I have a 120 evinrude 1994 that will not produce a spark at all I have got as far as testing the stator output which is giving me 140v but I think if my battery was better charged it would be a bit higher as it seems to go up depending on the rpm's I have got 2 power packs and switching between them seems to do nothing for the sparking the coils all have good resistance so I am assuming that it must be the power pack or the rectifier but how do I check them ? Many thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude 120 v4 no spark

If you go to the CDI electronics website and look up your engine, they will have a trouble shooting chart that will work you through the system.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Might just be a short in the ignition kill circuit. Happens a lot.
Disconnect the big plug from the control to the engine.
Jump start the engine to start it and recheck for spark.
Plug the plug back in to stop it, or manually flood it with the choke
The easiest way to jump start it is to put a jumper from the battery on to the small positive terminal on the starter solenoid, ie the small terminal on the solenoid that doesnt have its wire going to ground

Bosunsmate

Admiral

The other option is to jump from the big +ve terminal fed by the battery at the solenoid, to the small +ve,

Ant1387

Recruit

Thanks for your help tried jump starting it with no luck still so back to the drawing board I've also checked the cdi electronics website for troubleshooting but I'm not having much luck at all I'm kinda thinking about ripping all the wiring out and starting again that way I know its not a short somewhere

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Find the black/yellow wire coming from the packs and disconnect that. That eliminates the boat wiring harness. Still no spark, motor problem. Spark, boat problem.

Last edited:

Beakster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Find the black/yellow wire coming from the packs and disconnect that. That eliminates the boat wiring harness. Still no spark, motor problem. Spark, boat problem.
How do you disconnect it? It's part of a multiplug?