Divet/crane

chesseyhead2373

Recruit
I am looking to put a divet/crane into a pedestal seat mount instead of attaching a pedestal just for the divet. I am using the divet to lift about 250 pounds out of the water. Here is the question; would I need to reinforce the pedestal? Looking to do this in a lund or lowe crossover type boat, aluminum.

alldodge

Staff member
Welcome
Yes it would need to be reinforced. A pedestal seat can hold that much weight but mainly force going downward. A davit will have much more load when the arm is extended. Greatest load will be the opposite of the arm.

This is why a claw hammer can easily remove a nail

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
and consider how far away the load will be lifted from the center of the lifting structure (moment-arm) and the overturning forces the boat will see (if the lifting-structure doesn't fail)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
250#..... how far is the reach?

That will determine how much you need to reinforce the deck and how high up you need a second bearing on the mast

alldodge

Staff member
Might try something like, take a 2x10 and strap cross both sides of the hull. One side of the 2x10 extend out as far as you might need. With boat in the water walk out to the end of the board to see what your boat does. Might try to tip, if not your good with the balance, just need to figure the reinforcement

chesseyhead2373

Recruit
Looking at something like this, 500 pound lifting one, but max weight should be about 250pounds. They do make an aluminum davit but the reach won't work

flashback

Captain
Maybe a truss from the head of the divit to a point on the hull. It's not a good answer but might serve.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
FYI, something like that isn't rated to lift people. When lifting people, the proof test is 220% rated load. The proof test in the literature is only 125%

What reach are you looking for? What height do you need to achieve? What list angle will you be operating at?

alldodge

Staff member
I didn't hear any say "Squirrel" but I am getting hard of hearing and didn't know Mr spell checker was on line

airshot

Rear Admiral
Watch the TV show " swamp people" many of the alligator hunters have lifting arms with winches to lift alligators up in the 500 lb class. You can see how well they are built into the structure of their boat.