Dads 1969 MFG Caprice Express 19.7 - Wow .. what a tub!

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thought some of you might enjoy seeing this rare 1969 Caprice Express 19.7 that belonged to my father in Bloomsburg, PA. The pictures were taken sometime in late 1980s as I remember.

Be sure to check out the homemade flybridge roof! And those little tires on the trailer.

This this thing was a bear to get off and on the trailer! Very heavy! It was really too much for him and unfortunately it saw little use over the years. This was my first introduction to MFG boats. I was in my late 30s then and I have to say I wasn't impressed with it!!

It ran fine and was kinda cool, but just not my cup of tea in those days.

Here is more info from MFG: http://forums.fiberglassics.com/mfg/mfgb69004.jpg

DadsCaprice1.jpg

DadsCaprice2.jpg

DadsCaprice3.jpg

woosterken

Lieutenant
Re: Dads 1969 MFG Caprice Express 19.7 - Wow .. what a tub!

WOW,
where is she now?

woosterken

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Pretty cool ! It does look heavy and hard to trailor .LOL :cool:

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

When Dad had this I lived about 90 miles away near Allentown, PA so I was a bit too far to be of much help with it. He quickly found out that my mother was of no help at all loading or unloading and he had to do EVERYTHING! Sound familiar? As I said, this thing was a challenge to get onto the trailer.

Unfortunately they lived too far from any big water to leave it somewhere. (Dad would never have spent the money anyway!) After many trials and tribulations launching, and my father getting on in years the boat fell to inactivity and was finally sold. I came home for a holiday and it had disappeared ...

I have no idea where it went, or what became of it.

With all that in the back of my mind, that's why I have the Oxford. I don't NEED any help to work on, tow, launch or retrieve and I keep it safely stored in the backyard. Perfect!!

yanks21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow Steve!
I don't think I've ever seen one like that.
Pretty boat. I imagine the big van in the pic is what he towed that monster with? Can't imagine trying to trailer that to Deruyter Lake!
BTW, The Oxford is looking Fantastic!