Bought boat with wrong title

goodmariner85

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a used pontoon boat. The title and the boat don't match. The length is different and the manufacturer is different. The first three characters of the HIN are for one manufacturer and they expected characters for the actual boat are different. Still looking for the HIN on the hull. Have not yet found it. But it won't match the title. I bought it at the seller's home. Seller's name, photo, and address match what I find online, so it's not stolen. Have not yet contacted the seller about it. Any idea what's going on?

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Well if the VIN on the title doesn't match the VIN on the boat when you find it, my guess would be one of two things.
1. the person you bought it from, got it from another person who gave them the wrong title and he just registered it with that title at the DMV and never checked; or
2. He gave you the wrong title.

flashback

Captain
I would give him the benefit of the doubt but certainly get in touch with him.. may have had a couple of boats for sale and got mixed up..if so he will be glad to hear from you..

airshot

Rear Admiral
A few years back we were looking for a car for my daughter. She found one from a private seller and off we went. She liked the car so I ask the sellor to see the title, which he showed me. Checking the vin no. It did not match !! Seller said no problem, come back tomorrow and he will have a new title with the right numbers on it, and offered to knock a couple hundred off the price for our inconvience !! I grabbed my daughters arm and we left....quickly....my daughter wondered why ???

flashback

Captain
A few years back we were looking for a car for my daughter. She found one from a private seller and off we went. She liked the car so I ask the sellor to see the title, which he showed me. Checking the vin no. It did not match !! Seller said no problem, come back tomorrow and he will have a new title with the right numbers on it, and offered to knock a couple hundred off the price for our inconvience !! I grabbed my daughters arm and we left....quickly....my daughter wondered why ???
I bet she was pissed! LOL

goodmariner85

Seaman Apprentice
I found the HIN on the boat. It's completely different. I plan to contact him, just wanted to get my ducks in a row first. The seller seemed pretty shrewd and careful, said the boat has been in his family since new. My best guess is that he gave me the wrong title on purpose for some reason, like he does not have the correct one, and knows that I can take this title in and get a tag anyway. He answered questions about the boat via text message after I bought it, so he wasn't trying to dodge me completely. It's mysterious. I wondered if someone had heard the same story and had a guess about what's going on.

We were texting back and forth and I left a message waiting for a response. In the mean time my phone broke. I think the best thing is to try to talk face to face about it. I'll certainly give him a chance to straighten it out.

I can't call or text from my phone right now because I dropped it in the lake when I finally found the HIN (Placed the phone carefully inside the boat before crawling on the pontoon. But it was on a compartment cover that flipped open and dumped me and the phone in the lake as I climbed down. If I had left my phone in my pocket all would have been ok.)

If I had seen any discrepancy like airshot did, I would have left. There are a lot of boats out there.

flashback

Captain
Let us know how things work out, you can put the seller in deep crap if he sold you a stolen boat and was aware of doing it..

Mechmagcn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure where you are, but in AR to register a boat you must have either a clear picture or pencil rubbing of the HIN to present at the DMV.
The seller either needs to come up with the correct papers or refund you money.

goodmariner85

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks. I've been working with law enforcement friends and the seller. It's going slowly. The seller is apparently willing to get a replacement title (says he no longer has it.) But that is difficult. At this point, I think it was an honest mistake.