Boating with small children ( Toddlers ) Best Life Vest.

sloopy

Commander
To the amazement of some of the people who remember the early days of this forum, I have had sex at least once and now have a child!

The doctors recommend 4 months before taking the child on a boat and I am going to go the extra mile to make sure his neck is in good shape and I will not be taking him out on any rough days for a while. (Four-month minimum)

While I understand the child will grow (I wish he would hurry up and time warp to about 4 years old) and things can get expensive, I would like to make sure I get the best lifevest for him, even if that means a new one every four months. I am looking to stay under 100 dollars per vest but I don't trust the 9-dollar vest I am seeing at stores.

Searching Worst Marine, Amazon, Costco, Walmart, and Target reveals a bunch of infant lifevest with questionable certification, straps that tighten in a way that I don't believe a child's body can be shaped, etc. Are there legit child lifevests out there that are high quality, safe, and manufactured by someone who knows what a child looks like? Can I please get some recommendations?

Additionally, when you first brought your child on a boat, what did you do that helped ease the worries, what are some things to avoid, and what are some must haves? I will take any tips. We typically go out on the water twice a week in the morning to go skiing.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
To the amazement of some of the people who remember the early days of this forum, I have had sex at least once and now have a child!

The doctors recommend 4 months before taking the child on a boat and I am going to go the extra mile to make sure his neck is in good shape and I will not be taking him out on any rough days for a while. (Four-month minimum)

While I understand the child will grow (I wish he would hurry up and time warp to about 4 years old) and things can get expensive, I would like to make sure I get the best lifevest for him, even if that means a new one every four months. I am looking to stay under 100 dollars per vest but I don't trust the 9-dollar vest I am seeing at stores.

Searching Worst Marine, Amazon, Costco, Walmart, and Target reveals a bunch of infant lifevest with questionable certification, straps that tighten in a way that I don't believe a child's body can be shaped, etc. Are there legit child lifevests out there that are high quality, safe, and manufactured by someone who knows what a child looks like? Can I please get some recommendations?

Additionally, when you first brought your child on a boat, what did you do that helped ease the worries, what are some things to avoid, and what are some must haves? I will take any tips. We typically go out on the water twice a week in the morning to go skiing.
My girls are 19 and 21 now so hard to recommend a brand but as infants we would put the infant car seat carrier on the floor of the boat when we went for a ride. They typically took a nap.

Later one of the infant jackets with the flap behind the head to hold their head up. https://www.google.com/search?q=inf...INzk2OGowajeoAgCwAgA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

We did swimming lessons (lessons is a strong word) at the Y before she was a year old - one parent in the pool with the kid. First time their head goes under they learn to work with it and its on from there.

Stranger feeling is putting them on the tube first time at 6 or so..

If you are a skiier we started behind a tinny with a 15 hp, then got a jet ski. In a shallow cove I was on the ski by buddy in the water walking the kids up. Did this for hours every day ....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
FWIW..... I have a bin of children PFDs it's just part of having kids and an expensive hobby

Most of the ones I have are sterns brand and were purchased in the sporting goods store with the child in tow to ensure fit.

briangcc

Commander
My best advice is...a life jacket that is comfortable and fits. All bets are off if #1 isn't met. Btdt....made it all of 100' from the dock before having to turn around. Nothing like a fussy, overheated, uncomfortable kiddo to cut a boating trip short.

We've found the neoprene (or similar) ones to be the go-to's as the older nylon shell ones we grew up with do not work at all. Most life jacket manufacturers have them in this fabric, you just pay more for them. Think ours hover around the $50 mark regardless of size.

Something like this:

**Yes I know its out of stock but I've found other stores carry them during spring/summer.

As for advice, your child is going to tell you when you're ready to go in. Do not force this or you will regret it. Have snacks they like, toys they play with, and a way to get out of the sun. Sunblock is also a necessity. Again, do not force.

**Parent of 3 boys, all of which went out when they were relatively newborns. All are eager to put life jackets on to get into the boat.

Last edited:

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
been taking our son out since he was little.... when he was small enough, we put him in his life jacket (required in AZ under 18) and he sat in his car carrier. When a bit older, he sat with either mom or I with his jacket on. We just got them (and ours) from Bass Pro. Easy enough to test fit them right there, and decent quality. Cheap enough to replace frequently as well. One thing to look for on the littles, is a strap that goes between the legs, so they cant slip out of it through the bottom. Kids dont have a lot of contours, so hugging the body only goes so far with them.....

stresspoint

Ensign
to add to the above posts , ensure that the vest you buy / use on you child is going to make them float face up.
long story short a mates little girl fell off the swim platform waring her vest "" apparently a good branded one LMFAO"".
when she went in the vest she had on naturally rolled her face down toes down , luckily there were several adults available to pluck her from the water immediately .
no harm done but a scary thought that some of these things don't perform properly in some situations and a child could easily drown if there was a delay in noticing the situation .

if yo can without tormenting the child , drop her from about 10 inches or so into the water , make sure the vest roles her legs out and head on the neck support face of when she surfaces.

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021

This is the one we use for my youngest who is now almost 2yo. Easy to get into, and comfortable. Does well keeping her on her back. She was just under a year old when we first took her out.

Edit: Bring lots of snacks and a good blanket for mom/baby. Just cruising around the lake, she would fall asleep in mom's arms.

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
Have something to keep them out of direct sunlight !! Sun is very bright and gets hot really quick !! Without a bimini at least, dont go...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My earliest recollections of life was at age 4 sitting next to grandpa holding the tiller. But then again, my Mom was not a boater, so I was early constrained.

Early on we never had the bimini up. After pregnancy and delivering my wife had sun issues so now the top is up 100%.

My oldest was born in November, and he was an early walker. By June he was a confirmed boater and he always stood up watching the wake.

My youngest was born in March and he met the water late Summer. But it made him a believer. March 30th is the start of boating. He will take his jetski out that day, even if he has to dodge ice flows in the Niagara River.

We never took out a youngin until he could stand by himself. As far as PFDs, we always used Stearns, deigned for the age of the child.

johnwills72

Recruit
Congratulations on your new addition to the family! Ensuring your child's safety on the water is crucial, and it's great to see your dedication to finding a quality life vest by using the Gta 5.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Kids on the boat can not deal with emergencies.----You are responsible for them.----Think before venturing out onto big / cold water.----Make sure boat and gear is properly maintained.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Personally, I wouldn't dream of taking a four month old on a boat. Sudden stop from hitting a submerged object, someone elses wake, or fire or some other emergency on board. Too dangerous IMO. I'd wait until they were at least 2 or so. I have a grandson who is three and his mom still won't let him on my boat in the water, so we content ourselves with him playing in it on the trailer in the driveway. But he sure loves doing that!

sloopy

Commander
Congratulations on your new addition to the family! Ensuring your child's safety on the water is crucial, and it's great to see your dedication to finding a quality life vest by using the Gta 5.
This forum has AI ads now.....

sloopy

Commander
Kids on the boat can not deal with emergencies.----You are responsible for them.----Think before venturing out onto big / cold water.----Make sure boat and gear is properly maintained.
thanks! I am pretty big on maintenance. Anything for the next two years will just be around the local lakes and never when it's busy.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If you get into big trouble with kids and a boating " accident " in will be in the newspaper.----But it will not be in the sports pages !

sloopy

Commander
If you get into big trouble with kids and a boating " accident " in will be in the newspaper.----But it will not be in the sports pages !
Apparently as long as I use the GTA5 all will be well...

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
I have one of these for my boys 0-30 lbs. The triangular shape makes it easier to hold them,Without the jacket riding up too far under their chin. The taper on the vest makes it less like holding onto a big round log.
Once my toddler hit 25 lbs I moved him to your standard neoprene toddler jacket. Use a rash guard under it to avoid chaffing under their arms. With my oldest we had a nylon jacket that rubbed his underarms and nipples raw. Poor guy was miserable.
We also have a portable UPPA baby basinette from our stroller we used. It has its own sunshade canopy and handle to hang onto. They're also certified for safe sleep which carseats are not. You can even get a portable rechargeable fan to attach close to keep them cool. I was paranoid about over heating but wasn't really an issue where we live. Something to consider though.

Attachments

• O-Brien-Baby-Safe-Aqua-USCG-Approved-Type-II-Life-Jacket-0-30-lbs_62389155-ebca-4884-9fd2-52a...jpeg
    O-Brien-Baby-Safe-Aqua-USCG-Approved-Type-II-Life-Jacket-0-30-lbs_62389155-ebca-4884-9fd2-52a...jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 2
  • s-l1200.jpg
    s-l1200.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 2

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Whatever you do get one with a crotch strap and use it. When my daughter was about 10 as I recall, she fell off her skis and when she did, her rigid foam life jacket (without the strap) came up over her head and forced it under the water. I slammed the throttle to the firewall, made a fast U turn, ran over to her, killed the engine as I jumped out and saved her from drowning. Not a happy experience!

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is a VERY tough question to answer correctly.
My position has been and still is. No tots until they can walk confidently & fit CORRECTLY in a USCG APPROVED jacket. I also require the child to be on a very short leash. So it can not climb up and go over the sides or tumble off the big flat sun pad at any time.
No one knows when a tot can decide to climb up and go overboard..
I found a dead niece in the creek when she was missing for several minutes. she slipped off the dock & drowned in winter clothes.

Best is a leash slipped onto a parent wrist and just long enough to keep the tot next to them.

Reactions: KJM