AQ 280DP Gear shifting not working.

fxSol

Cadet
Trying to start and troubleshoot a Penta 4.3 GL and aq280DP that have been on land for a long time. Managed to ignite engine and it runs smooth. Noticed that the propeller does not spin even though I set throttle to forward. RPM of engine increases but nothing on the stern.
So I unscrewed the top plate on the aq280DP and noticed nothing happens when moving throttle.
My guess is that this is the gear shift that should be moved by the wire? Is this controlled by some hydralics or pure wire connected to throttle?
Reason for asking about hydralics is that the trim tab do not work and maybe its all connected?

If wire run, could it be that rust has created and wire is just stuck? I can see also that there is a wire going from the inside of the boat to the stern drive. This wire is light in color, and outside has many cracks in it.

What to do?

Any help or guidance is very much appreciated. Fingers crossed that the stern drive works appart from the wire. If so then I can take her to the water very soon and I will be a very happy man (except for filling the gas tank) =)

Dillusion808

Seaman Apprentice
Its all cable.

Check the cable under the controls at the helm maybe that got disconnected. Usually when the cable gets rusted and starts cracking it gets hard to move so you can tell its starting to go bad. Unless its been going bad for while and completely broke.

You should be able to disconnect the cable and manually engage fwd/rev. But watch them legs if doing it while running.

Last edited:

fxSol

Cadet
Its all cable.

Check the cable under the controls at the helm maybe that got disconnected. Usually when the cable gets rusted and starts cracking it gets hard to move so you can tell its starting to go bad. Unless its been going bad for while and completely broke.

You should be able to disconnect the cable and manually engage fwd/rev. But watch them legs is doing it while running.
Tomorrow I will try to disconnect the pin and cable and try to move it in gear manually. Thanks for the tip

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. If you have the old original remote throttle and gear control, make sure that the button push mechanism (that you press in to allow throttle without engaging gear) isn’t pushed in and stuck in. It’s not unknown for the spring to fail and not return the button back out. Meaning it’s still in neutral.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Would recommend servicing the drive, replacing the bellows and the raw water impeller.

Adjust the shift mechanism per the manual.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Just had an additional thought there. Assuming all is in order with the cable, mechanism and not in button stuck neutral mode at the remote..your 280 may have a slipping cone clutch. From wear or simply water in the gear oil. But you did perhaps mention that you think the mechanism isn’t showing signs of movement when you take the cover off the drive ? I’d definitely check the button spring release isn’t jammed and only getting throttle in neutral mode. Then the cables at each end..then the lower cable.