AMF Puffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honey-Do

Seaman Apprentice
I am new to sailing and have just aquired an old 12' AMF Puffer. I think I have all the parts, but I don't know exactly how to rig it. Does anyone out there have any pictures, instructions, manuals, etc for this craft that you would share with me, or any links to info about it? Any sailing stories about adventures in a Puffer, or tips on sailing it? It looks like it will be fun to play with. Thanks

gsnyder

Seaman
Re: AMF Puffer

Does a Puffer look anything like a Sunfish? A Sunfish has a mast and attaching sail through a ring on the lower boom. An upper sail boom pulls up the mast through a halyard from the upper boom through an opening at the top of the mast then down to a deck cleat. The main sheet attaches to a "traveller" line above the rudder, then through two blocks along the mast, then down to a sheet block at the front of the cockpit. The centerboard is removable, and fits through the hull of the boat. If this seems like the Puffer, I can give you more info. If not, then you'll have to keep trying. Good Luck.

sloopy

Commander

have you tried the search function in the Internet? I got 12678 results when I did it :confused:

Honey-Do

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the comeback. it is not like a Sunfish, it has a Mast, boom, main, & jib. I followed lot's of threads on the net but no solid info.

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Honey-Do<br /> I have sailed a puffer a while back.Also repaired the hull,which had a large 1'diameter hole in it.The one I sailed was a little heavy from water logged foam inside the inner hull.The rigging was basic sailboat.<br />The rudder has a SS pin which raises up to attach to transom bracket.Two small pulleys amidships on either side for jib lines(2)and chocks a little further back.Tiller goes under traveller wire on back.Main sheet(line)goes from pulley on traveller to nearest pulley on boom,then to next pulley attached to boom,then down to chock on centerboard well(or you can hold it like me).Three stay(wires)for mast.Attach side stays first w/clevis pins(you have to find which hole is right).Feed main halyard line(rope)thru top pulley on mast from FRONT of boat.Raise the mast(use 2 people)and secure forward stay to boat(should be tight,side stays can be a little slack).Boom attaches via a slot in mast and a set screw/pin.NOTE:Main sail must be fed into slot on mast when setting up.Not sure about boom,if slot on boom then same.Don't forget the center board! :D

Eaglehal

Recruit
Maybe this will provide some help.

Moderator edit: Please review the forum rule about posting to old threads

Attachments

• AMF Puffer rigged.jpg
    AMF Puffer rigged.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.