9.5 evinrude no spark

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Model number 9122R. 1971 evinrude 9.5hp. It has been sitting for 4 or 5 years. I did use it for a couple of seasons, and it was always hard to start when warm. It would stall and then was hard to start. Once running it would run wot for 10mins or more and then when at idle it would stall. And then hard to start again. I pulled the flywheel and the coils were cracked. Today i installed a complete new ignition, including coils, points, condensers and spark plug leads. Now I have zero spark on both cylinders. I checked the kill circuit and it appears OK. This was the first time for me changing all the ignition components, and it did not turn out too well. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks. Also forgot mention 2 new spark plugs j4j gaped at .030 and points cleaned and gaped at .020.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Clean the points. Yeah, I know you said they are new. All the more reason to clean them. They probably have an invisible layer of something on them that needs to be cleaned off to allow perfect electrical contact. Then check them with an ohmmeter on lowest scale. Should be zero ohms when closed. Not a few ohms---zero ohms.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Should be an easy job.-----Done it many times.-----The cam for the points is not upside down ?--------Did you set the coils properly to get the correct air gap with the magnets ?------Are the points absolutely clean.-------Did you use a meter and the timing marks to set the points?

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
I was editing my post as you responded and I added that I did clean the points with acetone. I will check with my ohmmeter. I cant seem to find it right now. I was going out to buy a new one tonight.

Last edited:

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
I set the coils flush with mounting bosses. I dont own the fixture used to set them. Points are clean and the cam is not upside down. I moved recently and I cant find my meter. I will be going out after supper to get one. Points were set with feeler gauge.

Last edited:

reiddo1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I set the coils flush with mounting bosses. I dont own the fixture used to set them. Points are clean and the cam is not upside down. I moved recently and I cant find my meter. I will be going out after supper to get one. Points were set with feeler gauge.

I went through the same issues with a 1973 Evinrude 9.5 which I bought used. I found two problems: one was where the coils had been screwed down on a wire and possibly causing a ground and the second was that one of the spark plug wires was not screwed into the coil as it should be. I know this sounds elementary, but my motor runs very well now.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the ideas. I am pretty sure the wires are not pinched, but I will have a look. As far as the spark plug leads, I made sure they were screwed in tight. I already made that mistake once before.

AlTn

Commander
if you'll look under the Sticky, Top Secret Files...scroll down to Universal Magneto Troubleshooting...make certain neither the ends from the condenser nor the coils touch anything but the post on the points...your plug wires are going to the proper coil...

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks I did look as you suggested and some good info there. When I get some time to work on it again I will try what everyone has said. I will report back with results. Thanks.