81 sunrunner v6 omc sterndrive tilt problem

Towman6364

Recruit
I recently purchased an 81 sunrunner 18ft cuddy with 4.3 v6 and omc sterndrive I cannot get the sterndrive to go down,at first I had no power past the battery cable and one side of the up and down solenoids but I cleaned up some connections and got power but when I try to lower sterndrive the motor goes up and down and now after going up once and back down when I try the switch nothing happens but my volt gauge discharges almost to 0 ,I am using a fully charged battery and have another that does the same.I cant find a wire diagram or any matching information information in the book that I have any help or information would be greatly appriceated

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
First welcome aboard

Look into a factory service manual (outboard books.com)

My guess you are referring to the tilt motor vs the trim

You most likely have a switch/solenoid/motor issue on the tilt motor

Towman6364

Recruit
Thank you for your response so what do I do to get the outdrive to move instead of the motor?

Towman6364

Recruit
I have a 81 sunrunner v6 with omc sterndrive first this is the first sterndrive I have ever owned so I do not know anything about it but the sterndrive will not come down when I push the switch the motor goes up and down and now when I push the button nothing happens but my volt gage discharges ,any suggestions I live on the Oregon coast and I can't find anyone that will work on it

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Remember OMC went out of business 30 years ago. Your Stringer 800 is not their finest work. Any mechanic that used to work on them has long since retired.

You will need to do the work yourself.

Start by trouble shooting the tilt system bothe the motor, solenoids, and the switch. Then look at the hammer coupling and the clutch

Then pull the drive apart and replace the raw water pump. Inspect the 3-piece vertical driveshaft.

Take care not to damage that $1000 shift cable

If the splines have any fretting, replace as needed.

Inspect the ball gears. If they are worn more than 40%, replace as needed.

Look at the transom boot rubber. If there are any cracks. Replace it

If your exhaust manifolds are the one piece "batwing" design, you should consider replacing them

T&C electronics (www sterndrive.info) has parts and videos. You still need a factory service manual

Had you come here first before buying the boat, we would have strongly suggested to pass on the boat.