4.3lx power steering fluid cooler replacement

Jgcrock99

Seaman
Good evening everyone,
I just had a question about the power steering fluid cooler on my 4.3lx. The boat is a 95 and I can only guess the part is original to the boat. Is this a part that will fail? I ask because there just isn't much to it. Mine has a slow leak and I lost all my fluid over the winter. I haven't removed it yet to inspect but wanted to ask the pros here. Is it possible I could just take it off, clean it and reinstall without issue or is there more than likely a crack or something causing it to leak? Thank you.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
make sure its the cooler.

any radiator shop can repair them.

if its leaking, you froze it with water in it.

Jgcrock99

Seaman
Thank you. Unfortunately that's probably what happened. Got hit with an early freeze and I wasn't able to get to the winterization in time. Threw a heater system in but it failed and I didn't know till the middle of the night. Got it sorted out but was worried about it. Ran the motor today and everything else seems fine. Oil is clear, not cloudy, good pressure. Dodged a bullet overall I think if that's all that happened.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If the PS cooler leaks internally, the PS fluid will leak into the water. You may or may not see it. I would pull it and test it with some pressure.

Jgcrock99

Seaman
If the PS cooler leaks internally, the PS fluid will leak into the water. You may or may not see it. I would pull it and test it with some pressure.
It's leaking into the bilge, I cleaned everything and watched it. I can't see where it's actually coming from though, just that it's leaking down into the bilge area

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
It's leaking into the bilge, I cleaned everything and watched it. I can't see where it's actually coming from though, just that it's leaking down into the bilge area
That's most likely a bad line

Dillusion808

Seaman Apprentice
You sure its coming from the cooler?

Not sure how your pump is oriented but mine was on toward the bottom of my 4.3L so the hoses ran under the manifolds then up and over the bell housing.

My hydraulic hose was rubbing against the block and started leaking. Couldn't see it until I cleaned the whole length off with some cleaner. I thought it was always coming from a fitting so I was always checking if it was tight.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
As was said, if she leaks into the bilge, the lines are likely bad. I had to replace the PS lines in my MerCruiser. The metal fittings were zinc plated and rusted out.

Jgcrock99

Seaman
Thank you guys. Haven't gotten a chance to dig into it yet but I'm hoping to this weekend or next week.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO AN AIR COMPRESSOR, PLUGE OFF ONE OIL LINE AND PUT 30 PSI ON THE OTHER LINE WHILE HOLDING HE UNDER WATER.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
In most cases the low pressure return lines clamps are loose or have cut into the hose, remove.clamps trim the ends, reclamp