300 weekender

berkleydetroit

Recruit
WOW! THis is great! New here, but just posted in the inboards forum before scrolling all the way down! <br /><br />Looking to buy a 1987 300 Weekender. Great shape, but has 900 hours on the T/350 / 260hp. The hours seem about right, but i'm not familiar with these motors. Fresh water. How long til a re-build?? Thanks!

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: 300 weekender

Fresh water cooled (or Anti-freeze) or run in fresh water? ......You would do best to keep an eye in the I/O forum for responses...You all ready have some....There are quite a few very knowledgeble people there.....You need to answer those questions for the proper feedback ;) ....JK

berkleydetroit

Recruit

fresh water cooled, and the boat is a Weekender, or Express if you will, not a Dancer, so it has straight inboards, not I/O's. <br /><br />Thanks for the reply!

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

If they are closed cooled & they have been properly serviced, I would estimate that they are slightly less than halfway through their service life.....JK

handball

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Berkley,<br />I own a 1987 Sea Ray with twin 260hp mercruiser engines, my engines have about 950 hours. My engines have fresh water cooled block and manifolds, and they run great. I have owned many boats over the years and this sea ray is one of the best built boats I have had. Also if you buy a weekender with straight inboards you will be saving your self many head aches from I/O problems with the attached big expenses. Its hard to say what the condition of your engines are just from the hours the meters show, as they can be ruined by running them with no cooling water circulation, a friend of mine just did that and it cost him $4000 for a new engine.Have a mechanic check out the engines for you ,it will be worth the extra expense.<br />Bill