2850 Bayliner B command Bridge question

acadian2022

Seaman Apprentice
Good day all. I'm going to look at a 2850 Bayliner today for the trailer that comes with it not really the boat itself however the boat comes with it. price is real good considering the trailer is aluminum and in great shape I'm basically getting the boat for free. my question is on the boat it has the decal B Command Bridge however, on all videos on line etc I don't see that model mostly Contessa. I have to say the boat itself exterior and interior is in Great shape and now thinking it may be a good idea to seriously consider keeping it and replacing example engines if they are not good etc. a big thank you to all will have lots more details this afternoon as to 2 engine model etc have a great day all.

Last edited:

Latonyadodson

Recruit
Good day all. I'm going to look at a 2850 Bayliner today for the trailer that comes with it not really the boat itself however the boat comes with it. price is real good considering the trailer is aluminum and in great shape I'm basically getting the boat for free. my question is on the boat it has the decal B Command Bridge however, on all videos on line etc I don't see that model mostly Contessa. I have to say the boat itself exterior and interior is in Great shape and now thinking it may be a good idea to seriously consider keeping it and replacing example engines if they are not good etc. a big thank you to all will have lots more details this afternoon as to 2 engine model etc have a great day all. BeBallPlayers
Hello,

The 2850 Bayliner B command Bridge is another for the 2850/2858 Contessa command bridge, which was a popular boat model from 1983 to 1989. It is designed for coastal and inland cruising and has a spacious cabin with a single or a midcabin stateroom. The boat is powered by a single 260hp Volvo sterndrive engine, which can reach speeds of up to mind 20s knots. If you decide to keep the boat, you may want to check the engine condition and the hull integrity, as well as the electrical and plumbing systems.

I hope this helps. Have a great day!

acadian2022

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

The 2850 Bayliner B command Bridge is another for the 2850/2858 Contessa command bridge, which was a popular boat model from 1983 to 1989. It is designed for coastal and inland cruising and has a spacious cabin with a single or a midcabin stateroom. The boat is powered by a single 260hp Volvo sterndrive engine, which can reach speeds of up to mind 20s knots. If you decide to keep the boat, you may want to check the engine condition and the hull integrity, as well as the electrical and plumbing systems.

I hope this helps. Have a great day!
Good day all big thank you for your assistance always much appreciated. the year is of the boat is 1987 the 2 engines are OMC cobra 5.0 V4 I'm trying to find out now what engine block brand they are?

matt167

Captain
Distributor in the back is Chevy. Distributor in the front is Ford. OMC used some of both in those years. What condition is the boat in?

acadian2022

Seaman Apprentice
Distributor in the back is Chevy. Distributor in the front is Ford. OMC used some of both in those years. What condition is the boat in?
Ok will check that. The boat is in great shape will be getting it home next week and start looking at its potential etc. Thank you

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
It could be a great find, it could be someone trying to get rid if their disposal expense - can't tell from here. If you're unsure of that, post some pics of the whole thing then closer and closer in the engine room and transom exterior. Paperwork/proof of ownership can be a thing too.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Assume the transom and stringers are rotten, the motors have been overheated and left to die from a frozen block busting death, and the drive are toast and the boat is a complete project

If the motors are healthy or the drives are OK, you are a bit ahead

A free boat is always the most expensive.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
If you are planning on getting the boat going for your own use ,then as long as the motors and drives are good ,go for it!!! If you are thinking of fixing and flipping it, then its a very bad idea. The OMC drives were crap,expensive to have repaired and parts availability could be a problem.The motors if V8s are basically good depending on how they were cared for. I can almost guarantee the seller was faced with repair cost ,spending more than the boat is worth either on the drives or motors or possible both and then did the smart thing like give it away. If you itemize your tax return you can look into donating the boat and the tax benefit may make it a good deal for you.Charlie