2007 e-tec 250 lower mount corrosion

darrklim2

Petty Officer 1st Class
I took off the cover and removed the mount. There are holes in all 3 sides of the midsection where the mount goes in.

LowerCoverCracked.jpg

Is this useable for a while?
I know that replacing the midsection is best but not in the budget right now.

IMG_20240412_194648285_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240412_194651264_HDR.jpg

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
depending on how solid the rest is....

Call me cheap but.....if money is short and won't buy the parts you need and we are all faced with these decisions at one point...... you call always patch it up with the stronger automotive fiberglass imbedded car putty and noboby will tell the difference after a good sand job and some spray paint job.

on very small holes or sections JB weld does a good job if you need to drill and tap ...delicately !

FB works on cars in much worse condition ! you can use the light duty putty on the last cover coat for easier sanding.

wash and brush off all the corrosion you can (use salt-away if you want or hot vinegar) a pre-coat of yellow chromate spray paint may help.

start adding gradual layers of putty to build upon (scratch each successive layer as you build up to ensure a better grab) ....on larger holes apply a backing for the first layer .

if not accessible insert a small piece of "whatever".. held by a string you can pull it shut while the FB hardens in a minute or two .... work fast !!!

up the creek...... that is what I would do. to keep me going for a while anyway . jmho !

Last edited:

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral

from the ETEC owners board where TEC owners hang out :)

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
well I looked at the parts listing and ETEC manual...it could be a lost cause but hey! faced with a 3K$ job try FB a heavy layer if you have to ... the stuff is prettty stong and... won't corrode anymore :)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Generally, midsections do not corrode like that. Actually, after the gearcases and powerheads go bad, they are the only remaining parts in good shape. You might look for a used midsection at the usual salvage yards and online. Yours looks too far gone to be epoxied back to life.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Almost looks like freeze and corrosion issues, but yikes.

I had an 09.... and I'm SaltChuckMatt so....

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
fyi if it fits...