2006 F200aet overcharge 15.6volts

Paul Barry

Cadet
Hi all, Ihave a Yamaha F200aet that after new battery’s and a new drum winch is overcharging up to 15.9volts. Have rechecked wiring and replaced3 way battery switch.
Today got about 20 mins at with it giving 13.8v then it moved to 14.8v and then 15.9v so came back in. If the water to rectifier was leaking could that cause it to over heat and do this?
Noticed some salt build up at bottom of engine just under were I think the rectifier is.(new to boat outboards)
Cheers
Paul

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Hi all, Ihave a Yamaha F200aet that after new battery’s and a new drum winch is overcharging up to 15.9volts. Have rechecked wiring and replaced3 way battery switch.
Today got about 20 mins at with it giving 13.8v then it moved to 14.8v and then 15.9v so came back in. If the water to rectifier was leaking could that cause it to over heat and do this?
The rectification is done in the voltage regulator circuitry. The fact that the voltage is moving around tells you the regulator is operational.

Sounds like something is pulling the system down from an overload.

First thing, I would unhook the winch to see what happens. From there I would isolate each battery. It’s possible you got a bad battery off the shelf.

Has the voltage been confirmed with a meter?
Have you checked to make sure all your ground connections are secure and shiny?

Paul Barry

Cadet
The rectification is done in the voltage regulator circuitry. The fact that the voltage is moving around tells you the regulator is operational.

Sounds like something is pulling the system down from an overload.

First thing, I would unhook the winch to see what happens. From there I would isolate each battery. It’s possible you got a bad battery off the shelf.

Has the voltage been confirmed with a meter?
Have you checked to make sure all your ground connections are secure and shiny?
Confirmed volts at battery’s with meter which showed it was higher that the gauges did. I have isolated one battery at a time and re started motor and issue remained. Winch has an isolator on it which I have tried on and off with no change. will double check earth tomorrow.
Driving me crazy, did same thing other day was high volts stopped and fished for a couple of hours, then when headed home was fine for 15 / 20mins then shot up to 15.6v at gauges ?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Confirmed volts at battery’s with meter which showed it was higher that the gauges did. I have isolated one battery at a time and re started motor and issue remained. Winch has an isolator on it which I have tried on and off with no change. will double check earth tomorrow.
Driving me crazy, did same thing other day was high volts stopped and fished for a couple of hours, then when headed home was fine for 15 / 20mins then shot up to 15.6v at gauges ?
A loose cable will cause voltage surges

The regulator is monitoring battery voltage to regulate the flow of current. If it sees a voltage drop at the battery, it will increase the current in an attempt to keep up.

Could simply just be the rectifier/voltage regulator is on the way out.

Paul Barry

Cadet
A loose cable will cause voltage surges

The regulator is monitoring battery voltage to regulate the flow of current. If it sees a voltage drop at the battery, it will increase the current in an attempt to keep up.

Could simply just be the rectifier/voltage regulator is on the way out.
I’ll get under the front and re check all connections for a short, if still playing up I’ll get it into a shop to check the rectifier out.
Cheers

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A connection is failing as motor heats up during running. Can be any small wire connection point .A gentile tugging on each small wire end should cause a instant voltage jump. Do the tugging very quickly while everything is COLD. Important.

Paul Barry

Cadet
Disconnect new drum winch no change still putting out 15 to 16v disconnect all accessories negatives still same. Went to high volts as soon as I gave it any rpm over tick over, driving me crazy.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Disconnect new drum winch no change still putting out 15 to 16v disconnect all accessories negatives still same. Went to high volts as soon as I gave it any rpm over tick over, driving me crazy.
Quite surprised the motor and or accessories/depth finder is not squawking loudly about the over voltage condition

Test….
Isolate everything from a confirmed good battery except the motor.

When/if the voltage jumps, measure your battery voltage using DC, then flip meter over to AC and try again. If you read more than 250 mV AC the rectifier/regulator is bad.

Paul Barry

Cadet
Quite surprised the motor and or accessories/depth finder is not squawking loudly about the over voltage condition

Test….
Isolate everything from a confirmed good battery except the motor.

When/if the voltage jumps, measure your battery voltage using DC, then flip meter over to AC and try again. If you read more than 250 mV AC the rectifier/regulator is bad.
Spent this morning replacing any wiring and connections that looked dodgy, will hit up a mate for a battery and give it a go. Cheers

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Check both grounds for the rectifier/regulator.

Is the isolator lead in use? Maybe check it for voltage as well.

If the isolator lead output is also excessive, more than likely your R/R has gone Tango Uniform.

If the isolator lead is not being used, and does not have excessive voltage, you might want to consider using its outputs as the primary output.

Paul Barry

Cadet
Found a marine tec with complete F200 he’s been storing long term for a mate, has offered to test rectifier on mine and swap parts around with known good unit until we find issue.