2006 Evinrude E-Tec 115hp overheating even after complete water pump replacement...

mjbuck

Cadet
At the end of last year, my E-tec overheated on the last trip out on the water. I know what happened, as I got onto a sand bar and sucked sand up into the water pump, etc. I flushed the sand and changed the pump (entire replacement kit). I went out on the for the first time this year and after about one mile at 3/4 speed, the over-heat warning came on again. There is some water coming from the discharge (cooling system), but it appears not enough. I suspect I did something wrong while replacing it. I found a video on the internet and followed the instructions exactly, but as a novice, I'm thinking I made a mistake somewhere. Before I tear it down to try again, or bring it to a shop to have it done, I thought I would post here for suggestions. We only have one dealer in this area that services Evinrude and they are just terrible... overpriced and will take a days if not weeks to get your boat back to you. My other option is a great service place 100 miles away. I live in a rural part of Michigan.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
There is a good chance you packed the cooling passages and water jackets in the powerhead with sand.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
What part of Mi.? I suggest you take the lower back off and back flush the motor.