1995 Stratos FS 278 Slow?

Landons130

Recruit
I just bought a 1995 Stratos FS 278 with a 1995 johnson 130 v4 I’m currently running no jack plate and a 14 1/2 x19P and it will only run 39 wide open 1 person empty tank working on getting the tac to register now motor sounds good and dosent sound screaming at top end on pad, good hole shot ik without tac I can’t dial it I’m just curious before I start if that boat should be faster thanks Landon.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...... Without the Rpms @ Wot, it's an unknown,....

briangcc

Commander
18' with 7'6" beam and 130HP? You might not be getting much more out of that boat.

Given the age, I'd start with weighing it as you could be carrying around a lot more weight than you should.

Landons130

Recruit
18' with 7'6" beam and 130HP? You might not be getting much more out of that boat.

Given the age, I'd start with weighing it as you could be carrying around a lot more weight than you should.
Not much on the boat I could, cut a few things I just read some forums from back in 2011 people getting 47 mph with a 115, considering the extra 15 horse I though 50 may be possible. Thanks for y’all’s replies

Stratos are set from factory from the boats I’ve owned, I run no jackplate on my 201 pro xl with a 200 and get 72 on glass water, 4 blade 25p

briangcc

Commander
Not much on the boat I could, cut a few things I just read some forums from back in 2011 people getting 47 mph with a 115, considering the extra 15 horse I though 50 may be possible. Thanks for y’all’s replies
Not what I'm referring to.

Boats of that age are made out of wood - transom and stringers. Unless it's been a pampered boat, always dried out after use and stuffed into a climate controlled garage, changes are good to very good that its water logged. Foam, wood, etc. You could be carrying around a few hundred pounds of weight that a dry boat wouldn't. And you wouldn't know it unless it was weighed on a scale.

So my first order of business, besides getting the tach operational, would be to take the entire rig to a certified scale, weigh it, launch the boat, and reweigh the tow vehicle/trailer. The difference gives you the current weight of the boat.