1995 Regal Commodore 272 water tank Q

Regal272Guy

Recruit
Bought my 272 back in May of this year. Prior owner had both Merc engines rebuilt. Within 2 hours after buying it the starboard engine started making a terrible tap that sounds like a lifter issue. Prior seller stopped responding to messages so with only 12 total hours after a rebuild I'm running on a single engine for the year. But I digress...

Being new to cabin cruisers I had a steep learning curve, especially since the boat has had many alterations mostly to remove nonfunctional gear, such as the generator. Being in Texas I was released to find the AC works, but the lake water feed doesn't work because the strainer is cracked, probably not winterized properly. But works when docked with a water hose.

Fresh water tank is good and all 3 sink faucets work. I also recently started using the head which likewise lacks water intake for the same reason as the AC. So I am just rinsing by pulling the shower head from the sink.

One of the things that doesn't work is the tank indicators. You push a button on the electrical panel in the cabin, one for fresh and one for gray water, and a light is supposed to shine showing how full the tank is. Both always show "empty" when I know they're not.

Is there a switch I need to flip to get them to read tank levels I don't know about? If not, what tends to fail on the meter? I'm concerned I'll exceed the gray water capacity and will have to change the name of the boat to El Stinko!

Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
The tanks use a float with reed switches, and pressing the water or holding tank buttons sends power to that float. Need to check for 12V to the push button switches