1993 bombardier throttle body side mount on a 1993 tx 17 bass tracker

umax33

Recruit
I need to replace the ignition switch, it is a kill switch that doesn't send fire to my plugs.I need to know how to remove it from the boat in order to replace the ignition switch. it has two screws on it going to the side of the boat but they seem striped out and won't come out. has anyone had any experience with removing these and replacing the ignition switch? thank you

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The ignition switch should just ground the ignition to kill on a 2-stroke outboard

umax33

Recruit
The ignition switch should just ground the ignition to kill on a 2-stroke outboard
so how do i fix it, it was working ok a couple months ago but when i tried to start it it would not start and i checked the plugs and am getting no fire to them

umax33

Recruit
Check the MOB switch
that was the first thing i checked i removed it and replaced it several times and tried to get a spark on the plugs but it did't spark.Like i said it was working ok a couple months ago, i try to run it a little every so often just to make sure its ok.But when i tried to start it a few days ago it wouldn't start and usually it starts right up.I had problem with this early in the year and removed and replaced the mob several times and it has been working ever since till now.That is why i think it is the switch.But i really would like to know how to replace the switch

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Use a DVM and start trouble shooting

umax33

Recruit
don't i need to be able to get to the wires on the ignition switch to check if the switch is actually working or not.I can't do this without getting to the wires in the control box which i am trying to find out how to do....thank you

Scott Danforth

Staff member
if you unplug the motor, spin it over by manually jumping the starter. it should run.

if you check the black/yellow wires with respect to ground at the motor with the controls plugged in, you have an issue with something shorting to ground.

then you can determine what is shorting to ground by doing further troubleshooting