1988 50 hp force no spark?

Swordman45

Recruit
When i got this boat the motor didn't have a spark so i got a new stator and a new rectifier and new spark plugs as well, after installing it would fire no problems for one trip to the lake, then the next time i went it wouldn't start, took it home it would start when i hooked it to the hose in the yard, it did this a few different times, i tryed replacing the rectifier and no change, but know there is no spark at all when trying to turn it over, battery is fully charged and there is power from the key to the motor the starter turns the flywheel. Im lost one what to check now i attached a picture of the badge of the motor if that helps as well thanks

Attachments

• 20220504_180046.jpg
    20220504_180046.jpg
    1,010.4 KB · Views: 11

Nordin

Commander
Do a troubleshooting for the ignition system. Outboardignitiondotcom has the troubleshoot chart. According to the model number from the id tag the engine do not have the Prestolite system with one CDI box with two output channels. It has the one with CDI and ignition coil built in in the same unit.

topgun3690

Ensign
Haven't had a chance to test and not really sure how to but that is what was thinking to try
Did you take Nordin's advice in post #2? Otherwise you may just be chasing your tail and replacing parts randomly....orderly troubleshooting is needed to diagnose these ignition systems....wouldn't hurt to get a factory manual if you haven't already.

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Haven't had a chance to test and not really sure how to but that is what was thinking to try
Im just saying that because I have the same motor and that is what happened to me. Bad stator and bad trigger. I didn't test it myself, I had a trusted mechanic diagnose it for me. I had figured it would cost more for me to throw parts at the motor than for me to pay the mechanic to diagnose and myself to fix it. Definitely listen to Nordin and top gun though.

Swordman45

Recruit
Did you take Nordin's advice in post #2? Otherwise you may just be chasing your tail and replacing parts randomly....orderly troubleshooting is needed to diagnose these ignition systems....wouldn't hurt to get a factory manual if you haven't already.
I just ordered an ohms meeter so i can do some testing