1964 MFG 14' boat

skAr kreme

Cadet
my dad just gave me a 1964 MFG 14' boat and i am going to fully restore it, so ima need some help finding some parts for it and some ideas would be helpful in my quest to restoring it. it is in fair shape and needs some work, i know how to fiberglass and paint and do almost all the work to it. i really want to be creative and keep it retro with new technology

thanks

pics coming soon

littlefin

Cadet
Re: 1964 MFG 14' boat

Fixing them up "YOUR WAY" is most of the fun. :)
After that their nothing but relaxation. Who wants that? ;)

Glad to meet you. Now send the D- - B pictures already!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Welcome Aboard skAr kreme !!
Looks like your dad had it rigged up for mostly fishing. What model is it ? Most of these 60 models have the blue aqua color. It's nice to see a different color now and then. The rail around the bow seems to be an add on. I'm still learning about these mfg myself.
Is the floor and the transom good? Good luck with the restore!
S.P.

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good luck with your "new" toy! Looks like a good place to start.

This boat shares many similarities with my '61 Oxford. Length, stern profile, transom shape, gunnel caps and probably more. See my thread on the my continuing saga of rehabbing my little boat. Perhaps you'll spot some useful information!

When budgeting time and money for your project ... look it over and make a best estimate of time and cost. Then triple it !!

It's a lot of work and time. If you like boats like I do, it will be worth it! I'm a little over half way there and am looking forward to enjoying some summer months on the water with my '61.

Time to get started!!

littlefin

Cadet

I like it! That's a real fisherman's boat.

Not to bad of shape to. Hopefully everything is solid and you only have to freshen her up.
If not. Invest in sandpaper!:rolleyes:

Remember: We build them because its fun. Not because its easy!

Last edited:

skAr kreme

Cadet

thanks guy, it is a 64 westfield custom. i fished out this boat my who childhood and my dad wanted to get rid of it so i took it cause it is just so retro and it means a lot to me to restore it. the rails on the bow are added and they will be gone and if i can find a windshield it will go back on it, the floors are solid and the transom is original and solid as ever, i am going to be starting on it soon and i will keep the picks coming

if any one knows where i can get the windshield with frame please let me know

thanks

yanks21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

skAr, check the fiberglassics page for the brochures on the boat. Those can give you a clue as to what was on the Oxford. Plus, several guys here have Oxfords and have restored them. This forum is excellent for knowlege, and, if you are dilligent about reading the threads, you'll find you don't have to re-invent the wheel! somebody here has already done it, is doing it, or has a clue how you should go about it. Just remember to post your successes and failures to keep that knowlege base growing!
Good luck with her, and welcome!

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I like it! That's a real fisherman's boat....

Yup. The MFGs fish really big. My fishing rig since about '92 is a '64 14-foot Niagara. It does everything better than a boat its size usually can ever do except jig walleyes from the bow. But the water-shedding of a close bow isn't something I would be willing to sacrifice.

thanks guy, it is a 64 westfield custom....if any one knows where i can get the windshield with frame please let me know....

Is it labeled Westfield? It looks a LOT like a Niagara, with the limited view in the pics. Howver, steering wheel isn't from a '64 Niagara though. I guess the real answer to Niagara or Westfield comes down to the dash which has some asymmetrical molded-in tray areas on a Westfield and a centered, rounded edge dash tray on a Niagara. The other Westfield distinguishing feature is an arched transom instead of a flat transom.

If you need a "correct" windshield - that will take some doing to get one. If you an original-looking windshield- you can make one with polycarbonate and some aluminum that accepts

skAr kreme

Cadet

i thought it was a westfield and i just got the title from my dad and it is a '64 Niagara, almost everything on the boat is not original and i dont plan on putting original back on it. ima do all new technology on it so i wont have anything fail out in the water

yanks21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can't believe that's only 14'. Makes my 13' carefree look like a dingy...