Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Petty Officer 3rd Class cgibbo308's Avatar

Default Re: Lost and found overboard...are you a giver or a receiver?

was on Sydney Harbour for new year. Launched at 3am cos i was told how busy it would get. Saw a blue wobble roller on the ramp but left it there and later i found a bloody great big bucket floating along. returning at 1am some one had put the wobble roller on my winch post so i now have a spare.

lost my sanity around about the same time i bought the boat come to think of it.
    lost a hat, a few lures.
    lost my lunch once (fell overboard)
    lost a cold weather coat and a bosh cordless screwdriver (while on the trailer, while chaimed to a power poll)

Seaman Apprentice

I lost the boat, same way as others, didn't have enough rope, jumped off 2 quickly. Went swimming that day, my son laughed and laughed, A few weeks later he did it too, payback is great !

Like others hats, smokes.

Unlike others, 20 pounds, paddling the boat back to dock. Bit of advice, buy the right spark plugs for your boat, I now carry extras.
    "FRANKENBOAT"
    1975 Sea Ray SRV 193. 18' open bow inline 6.

OK, my GF found an E-SeaRider (bean bag chair) on the bottom today. It was all they could do to get it on the boat. It's becoming more manageable now that the water is draining. It looks in near new condition too!
    Pete "NetDoc" Murray
    I love to start what I finish!
    Owner of the MV ScubaBoard
    23' 1968 Fibra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What have I lost? Sun glasses, drinking glasses, at least 4 fillet knives, the crab cooking pot,(name was mud),couple of hats,just about lost the wife when she was netting a salmon. Managed to grab her by the slack of the jeans and haul her back in,she never let go of the net either. Lots of jigging tackle,a few downrigger balls,tow rope to the inflateable dingy broke once, had to go 1/2 mile back to get it. Found, not much, a few bumpers,net floats, pulled up a 300 yard piece of commercial long line with the anchor, thats about it.
    Last edited by dan t.; January 13th, 2012 at 02:54 AM. Reason: additional info
    motorsport is the most efficient method known to man of turning money into noise

I've lost the usual glasses, beers, cell phones, a rod and reel but the only one that truly sticks in my mind is my friend that went overboard when a boat was circling too closely. The prop promptly chopped his leg to shreds. He died enroute to the hospital and was revived. He still goes out with us though. One day we saw the boat that ran him over (new owners) and I thought he was gonna throw up.

He's got gnarly scars from the prop. Depending on who's asking the scars are either from a boat propeller or a shark attack...
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a really nice little 2.3hp Johnson kicker, usually it lives in the salt water but I was away last week at Lake Taupo and thought it to be a good idea to give it a run in the fresh water, well it sure did get a good clean when it jumped off its mount into a 100m of water never to be seen again.

Was fishing the grassy edges of St. George Island a few years back and noticed a large object several feet below the surface. Found it to be an abandoned crab trap totally encrusted with oysters...three five-gallon buckets were hogged before we could lighten it enough to haul it aboard. The best part...I had a shucking knife! I love this place!

I was perched on the gunwale, holding my Boat Master with a livey on the hook in 60'. The marker bouy floating about 15' away suddenly began moving. "Mark, I think we're dragging anchor", I said. Then I noticed the faint swirls of a small wake forming behind the boat...we're moving... and picking up speed. "Mark, we're not drifting...we're being pulled!", I said.

Long story, short...after three men took turns hauling on the anchor, we were stunned to find a Manta ray with about a 20-foot span with the anchor lodged in its mouth!

Totally true!

Found, fishing lures and random tackle.
    Lost my favorite anchor, forgot to raise it, turned hard to port an cut it free with the prop……
    On the Dark Side, there are no reevets….
    MBS, They tell me I need help, what I need is more 5200.

1988 SunRunner 235 Weekender
    1963 Merc 500
    1963 Starcraft Jet Star
    1974 Starcraft Chieftain

Found: 1 piece of tarp wrapped around my prop. I had just backed off from being beached and engine started lugging down. Took about 15 minutes to cut all that crap off my outdrive.

Lost: 1 hat (went back and got it)
    4 fishing pole and a tackle box (off my pontoon, while parked beside my house in the yard. Really chapped my ... Well, you know.)

Also have lost my wife's sense of humor on several occasions. She does not like turning fast in the boat. LOL
    Anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about!

Seaman Apprentice

Not me but my uncle Wally. Since my childhood in the fifties and sixties dad and I would go fishing, alot...and uncle Wally often came with. Over the years uncle Wally threw in the anchor without securing the anchor line. Not once but twice. Uncle Wally launched the boat at the landing and simply forgot about the rope and had to swim to get the boat back. Uncle Wally, after putting another fish on the stringer threw it back in the water without reattaching it to the boat, he also threw away a bait bucket the same way. Uncle Wally was a bull in a china shop. he has lost oars, hats, cigarette packs, lighters, fishing rods, tackle boxes, life jackets, full cans of drinks, coolers and himself all ending up in the lake. He was quite a character. He's been gone a long time now and I still miss him and every time we have any kind of a mishap at the lake we say we had a "wally".

Master Chief Petty Officer dwco5051's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danr2013 View Post
    Not me but my uncle Wally. Since my childhood in the fifties and sixties dad and I would go fishing, alot...and uncle Wally often came with. Over the years uncle Wally threw in the anchor without securing the anchor line. Not once but twice. Uncle Wally launched the boat at the landing and simply forgot about the rope and had to swim to get the boat back. Uncle Wally, after putting another fish on the stringer threw it back in the water without reattaching it to the boat, he also threw away a bait bucket the same way. Uncle Wally was a bull in a china shop. he has lost oars, hats, cigarette packs, lighters, fishing rods, tackle boxes, life jackets, full cans of drinks, coolers and himself all ending up in the lake. He was quite a character. He's been gone a long time now and I still miss him and every time we have any kind of a mishap at the lake we say we had a "wally".
    I had a friend like Uncle Wally. Myself and everyone of by fishing buddies that ever took him along were subject to either a Wally moment from him or some mishap to their boat. Perfectly sound craft would decide to not start again three miles from the launch, sunset would come and lights that never even flickered in years would not come on.

We nicknamed him "Jonah" and the name stuck with him for years.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lost a hat or two. Others, glasses. Found a ski a few times (never a pair) and some ski vest.
    1970 14ft Winner 90hp Merc (44 seasons of saltwater operation);
    2003 Malibu skiboat V-8 inboard. (fresh water boat)
    Original owner of both.
    First boat; 1963 13ft Fabuglass Fury 50hp Merc (63-69)

added my first item for the year, nothing special though just sunglasses.
    James & Deb

Bad Dog

If it aint broke your not having enough fun

my 1988 Riviera Cruzer pontoon rebuild
    http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/1988-riviera-cruiser-526820.html

Fleet Admiral

I went riding around in the boat Sunday and lost my will to do my spring yardwork
    A man of constant boat tinkering.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Captain Shikaboo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Home Cookin' View Post
    I went riding around in the boat Sunday and lost my will to do my spring yardwork
    Nice! I lost mine too.

I had an air horn get stuck in the on position really late at night, so I quickly threw it in the water. It made the funniest sound. I almost fell in I was laughing so hard. We scooped it up with a fish net and everytime I need a good laugh I hit the button.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Whent out last night. Found a anchor & 20' fo rope. It still had a cleat tied to it.

Petty Officer 3rd Class DarrinT's Avatar

Snorkleing in Lochlin Lake in Haliburton ON found a boom box - volume on full ,play button pressed and the tape in it was The Cars " Candy-O"

Rockin the boat a little too much were we lads?

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinT View Post
    Snorkleing in Lochlin Lake in Haliburton ON found a boom box - volume on full ,play button pressed and the tape in it was The Cars " Candy-O"

Rockin the boat a little too much were we lads?
    ahhh the good ole days of punk rock . reminded me of 'take me to the river' talkin heads

Seaman Apprentice

I just bought my first FL boat, a 19' Cobia CC. Got all the papers including the TITLE on a Friday afternoon, so I couldn't get to the tax collector until Monday to transfer the title. So I put all of the papers in a one gallon zipock and tucked it into the carry on bag. Couldn't wait til Monday to go for a ride. So the wife and I are out on Palma Sola bay near Bradenton Saturday. Getting a little cool so I reach in the bag and pull out my pullover. OK, lets see what she will do. So I point it toward home, into a 15 mph wind. 37 mph GPS speed, ok, not bad. Next day I ask the wife, "where is the title?" Its in the bag isn't it? Nope, it blew out some place in the middle of Palma Sola Bay. Monday afternoon I get a call from the marina I bought it from. Someone found the bag and dried out all the papers in their microwave, and turned them in. Amazing, there are a lot of good people out there. Didn't leave his name, so if you are reading this, thank you so much.
    1989 Malibu Skier EuroF3, 5.7 Comp Ski Mercruiser IB
    1999 Cobia 194 CC w/ 130 Yamaha 2 stroke

Lieutenant Junior Grade Wingedwheel's Avatar

I've lost minor things over the years, but I'm on quite a roll this season. So far I've lost a brand new mooring cover( blew off at the dock) and I've scoured the whole marina bottom. I think it might have blown into someone's car. A few day's later I was out in my fishing boat and my brand new prop fell off so you could say I've lost about $600 just this year! lol
    The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work.

Lieutenant Junior Grade TruckDrivingFool's Avatar

Was out by myself last week trying to get the motor to act up so I could hopefully get a diagnosis on what's wrong. It was hot out and since it had been acting up the day before after stopping to swim, I figured might as well try and recreate the conditions.
    Anchored in a small bay across from a swimming beach put the swim ladder over the gunwale and dove in. After a very refreshing swim I got back in and called the wife to let her know that the boat was of course running great (won't act up when you want it to) and that I was ok. About the time I got off the phone I noticed a beach ball from the swim area had floated about halfway across the bay, so I figured I'd be nice and go retrieve it.
    Boat fired right up(of course), pulled anchor, and motored over to retrieve the ball. As I scooped the ball up I saw a pool noodle not far so I scooped it up too. As I rode up to the boat area next to the beach a kid came over to say thanks(his Mom did too) and retrieve the items.
    I took off ran around some more and was amazed at how great the boat was running. Figured I'd give it one shot at acting up and stopped for another swim. Anchor out, Swim.... lad...... Oh Carp! Yep never pulled it back in, never heard it come off.

Beach toys saved - 2
    Boat items lost - 1

So much for karma.

Seaman Apprentice

I took off once without remembering to pull the anchor and all 100 feet of line, looked back and it was on top planing at 30 mph. What to do? Just did a hard turn while throttling down and got lucky, boat stopped before the anchor hit bottom. It was kind of akward as I was in my FIL's boat with him aboard.
    1989 Malibu Skier EuroF3, 5.7 Comp Ski Mercruiser IB
    1999 Cobia 194 CC w/ 130 Yamaha 2 stroke

Petty Officer 1st Class

(1) FRS radio lost to Black Lake. It was wrapped up in a sweatshirt of mine that I handed to my mom as I was getting out of the boat. She didn't realize it was in there. We knew right where it dropped but since we couldn't see the bottom of the lake, it was a goner.

(1) Anchor caught. Drifting in the St Lawrence River something grabbed the hook of my pole. Now this is a 6' Zebco $10 special from K-mart that I've had for YEARS and a Shimano reel with 10lb test. I start fighting this thing thinking I have the cousin of Moby Dick on. As it gets closer to the surface, I found out I had caught the 3/8" rope that was still attached to it. Probably a good 20' of rope and a mushroom anchor in darn near pristine condition. Only thing I can think of was that the original owner was near the shipping channel when one of the freighters came through and with the large wake from the freighter it was either cut the anchor OR lose the boat.

Found an old aluminum chair with my anchor today. Had an IBM logo. Threw it back where I found it.
    Most people are going to do whatever they want. What I find entertaining is how people justify what they do!!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast