Shop iboats.com for all your boating needs!

Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Petty Officer 1st Class timfives's Avatar

Default Re: 1972 starcraft chieftain

Congratulation. Looks like a very worthy starcraft. I'm jealous!!

T
    ------------------------------------------

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Project
    1974 Starcraft Chieftain
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....errerid=174999

"Completed" Project
    1991 Starcraft Islander 191V - Rebuild
    http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/start-my-project-1991-starcraft-islander-359551.html

Thanks timfives. She is a good looking boat. I started looking for an inboard aluminum boat last summer but never had any luck. Last summer i drove by the PO's parents house and seen this boat sitting outside. I asked her mom if it was for sale and she said it had already been sold so i was kind of bummed out. Then a few weeks ago i spotted it on craigslist. The sale must not of went through last summer. The hull is in good shape besides 2 small spots that might require attention. The floor and transom are solid. The only thing that needs attention is the 39 year old electrical system. Hoping to get it on the water within the next couple weeks to see how she does. Eventually i would like to do a full restoration once i have an indoor place to work on it.

Lieutenant Commander

Nice boat -kicker- ladder and condition, should be able to use that all summer and then if it needs it dig into the concerns. Good find and ability to find doner boats in your area. Wher in Nebraska do you live I was raised for a few war years in Beatrice. It right on the Blue river. I remember lots of Pheasants .rabbits and big cat fish in the river we caught with -baited poles and stuck in the bank then, go next day and check them, Nice place to live. Pugetsound

Im about an hour northwest of beatrice, just west of crete. Blue river is about a mile and a half away from where i live. Lots of people catch some big cats out of there. Also some pretty big carp in there as well.

Well I put her in the water today. She has plenty of power and scoots along nicely. While it was off the trailer i moved the winch post forward as recommended by Jas and EZ to get it sitting a little farther forward on the trailer. The only thing i noticed is it leans quite abit to the starboard side. I even moved my portable fuel tank to the port side with no avail. The only thing i can think of is its waterlogged on that side. Any ideas? Heres a couple pictures for reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jasoutside View Post
    Hey look guys! There is a boat in the water!!!! Wooooooohhhooooooooo!!!

I was pretty excited as well. I really want to do a full restoration but im gonna have to wait as I dont have a garage big enough it will fit in (yet). I will enjoy it through the summer and start collecting parts and hope i can get a big pole barn built by winter . It still bothers me it doesnt sit even in the water.

Lieutenant Commander

The kicker is on the low side, but the list seems to be more than just that??? Hmmmm.
    Dave P.
    1979 22' Starcraft Supersport V5
    w/ 1985 Evinrude 140 & 1979 Evinrude 9.9

My original thread about my boat:
    http://forums.iboats.com/starcraft-boats/my-22-starcraft-supersport-v5-yes-pics-416445.html
    My restoration thread:
    http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/1979-22-starcraft-supersport-v5-restoration-427003.html

1995 FourWinns Freedom 3.0 I/O.

1995 14' SeaFarer LW
    Sold....http://forums.iboats.com/starcraft-boats/i-got-another-starcraft-sf-14-lw-543525.html

Yeah the kicker is heavy but not THAT heavy. Odd.
    1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
    Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/18-starcraft-supersport-restoration-357767.html
    1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
    Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/starcraft-boats/ezmobees-1966-jupiter-338633.html sold

I drilled a couple holes in the floor a few feet infront of the transom and the foam that came out was dry. I jacked the front of the trailer way up and jacked up the starboard side and put the plug in to see if any water drains out. The boat does sit lower on the trailer on the starbard side due to a bunk board being half gone so maybe the rainwater isnt draining. Will check in the morning and hope it doesnt rain.I dont think the hull is tweaked at all. I cant find anywhere that doesnt looked straight and cant find any stress points. I agree with EZ and DJP that the kicker isnt the problem.

Lieutenant Commander

I'm sure you've checked, but batteries and anchors are heavy as well, have you checked to see what is in all the compartments?
    Dave P.
    1979 22' Starcraft Supersport V5
    w/ 1985 Evinrude 140 & 1979 Evinrude 9.9

My original thread about my boat:
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=416445
    My restoration thread:
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=427003

1995 FourWinns Freedom 3.0 I/O.

1995 14' SeaFarer LW
    Sold....http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=543525

I moved the spare battery and fuel tank to port side and also had 2 passengers that were on port side and it still leaned. There really isnt anything in the compartments. I even cheked the original fuel tanks and they were both empty. I'll get a hole saw tomorrow and drill a few more inspection holes. Hopefully theres just some water hung up in there. For some more information the PO did tell me they had an incident at the lake last year. The motor died and wouldn't start and they got pushed into some trees. The drain plug got pulled out and the boat took on water. Im not sure how much but like I said before it leans to starboard on the trailer due to a bad bunk board so maybe it's not getting drained.

Man that is weird she still leans even after you move all the weight over to port. Super waterlogged foam is about all I can think of but it sound like you checked that too. Huh.

Lieutenant Junior Grade MichaelP's Avatar

I have a hard time believing the PO told you the whole story. Can't imagine how the foam would get soaked during 1 event. It must have been leaning beached or crooked on the trailer allowing water to sit on one side for a long time. My SS sunk before I got her and must have been in the water at least 1 day and the poured foam was still nice and dry but the boat was always covered.

I drilled about 4 3" holes on the starboard side and foam was bone dry. I took the kicker off and it weighed in at a wopping 79 pounds. The only other thing i can think of is the original fuel tank is under the helm but i dont see that weighing more than 30 pounds. I took several measurments on the outside of the hull and everything seemed even. Next weekend i plan on putting it back on the water to see if it changes but the list was pretty bad.

I have an old Crestliner that listed just like that, even after I moved the kicker,and fuel tank. Never found the problem, but after I added a lot of weight to the bow, hard top and 30 gal fuel tank, both centered, it no longer lists. Not sure why it did , or stopped. Good luck, and that is a great lookin boat. Got a son in Scott's Bluff, southwest corner, and he lies it there a lot.

I thik you might be right heyyou. There is alot of weight in the back of the boat. The plan is to eventually put a permanent fuel tank under the floor near the front, untill then i will just have to deal with it or hope it goes away on its own

Senior Chief Petty Officer elkhunter338's Avatar

Hmm, my cheif sits level, and my kicker 15hp is on the same side as yours. I moved my fuel tank for the kicker mid boat left side, both batteries are on the left side, one in the back, one forward about 6 feet, fish box is on the left. Depending on my fuel levels it sits pretty level. I have twin fuel tanks under each seat so depending on if one is empty and other fuel it will list allittle.
    I have moved as much weight forward as I can, anchor, fishing weights, fish box, tackle boxes and such. Mine only has the 140hp merc 4 cylinder

Im gonna try to move some weight forward and see what happens. It seems once it planes out its not so bad. I would rather have the weight as evenly distributed as possible.

Lieutenant Commander

?????????????? I have a 200 hp johnson and a merc 9.9 4 stroke mounted on the left side next to it. I have both batterys and a floor 35 gallon gas tank and store my downrigger balls in the rear as well as the downriggers. tthey go under the full width seat. The rest of the gear is along the sides and light weight things under the bow The Boat is a 1975 Holliday 22 ft. It has never listed and is real quick out of the hole and will run, if I let it, 45- 50 mph. I usually only run 25-30 max. I have had this for 4 years now and it has origional floor -transom and interior is origional . A little rough in a few spots but a very nice boat. I still have the origional canvas but only the top fits enought to keep the rain and sun off. I do have Bennett trim tabs, adjustable, and use them only in the salt water to adjust for the tideel current when running.

Ya im not sure Pudget.......Im eventually going to restore the boat but would like to get this figured out first. I'll just have to keep moving stuff around until i get it to sit like it should. Hopefully i can figure it out soon.

Never did figure out why mine listed. Had the decking and everything out. But moving the weight evened something out. I strapped my tank down in the bow, now it doesn't feel like it is gonna flip whenever I take off. But I did lose some speed, in a fishin boat, not that big of a thing.

Chief Petty Officer GLG fishing's Avatar

My boat seems to sit level at rest but it does list if I donít have the weight just right when I am on plane. I have trim tabs to take care of that. You may want to add some weight up front and see if that helps. You could fill a few 5-gallon pails (sp) with water and stick them up in the cuddy. I think these hulls have lots of V in them and itís sensitive to weight. Let us know what happens and if you do find the problem.
    GLG
    2005 19' Duckworth 115 Yamaha
    1975 18' Starchief Volvo 130HP

VP of Client Liason Field Operations

So.... If i wanted to remove the cabin hardtop to fit this in the garage would i be able to??? Im assuming i just drill out the rivets to get it off. I was just curious weather anyone had ever done this. Im wanting to do a full restore but am putting it off due to not being able to fit it in the garage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast