How do I lift the power head off?

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all, I have a 1982 115 HP Evinrude, V-4, VRO technology. I have the head ready to come off (two cylinders have no compression) and do not know how I will do it; all the nuts are off, it shifts in place. The entire motor is still mounted on the boat, and it is real heavy, and I need to lift it up and off the driveshaft. I have no engine lift. Is there an engine lift they sell that you throw over a tree branch? (recognizing this could be dangerous) Any other ideas? Thanks all!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: How do I lift the power head off?

Mass...don't forget to disconnect the shift rod also.<br /><br />Yeah..the head is heavy but not that heavy. A sturdy tripod of 4X's or pipe would be strong enough to pull it. It would help to have a puller that will attach to the three screw holes in the flywheel. A harmonic puller with a lifting eye would be great.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, thanks, I actually do have one of those pullers. Tell me more about how a pipe or 4X's would help. Could I do it with three guy lifting?<br /><br />Thanks.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

With the power head bolts removed, shift rod disconnected, and gasket seal broken from exhaust housing, two guys can lift it up, and off.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Might want to pull the lower unit first. That will asure you that the driveshaft will seperate from the crankshaft and the gearshift & water tube will drop down. You will need to do this anyway as I would think you will want to replace the water pump.

Walker

Captain

Agree with SoLittle. I always drop the lower unit before I pull the powerhaed. Another thing to ponder is you need a good way to pull the powerhead because putting it back on needs to be fairly precise so you don't tear the base gasket.

xikxak

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought a chain hoist(1 ton) on ebay for 9.99 +20.00 shipping and it works like a champ(although I won't stand under it. they still sell them.

GatorMike

Ensign

Dang, I feel like superman. I just droped the lower unit on mine and lifted the powerhead off by hand. Not that heavy.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

yep,<br /><br />take the cylinderheads off,take the starter of,take the carbs off and you will be suprized you can lift it yourself if you dont have a bad back.<br />but putting the thing back on is a totaly different story.<br />so my advise is for 200 dollars you can by a small engine lift. <br /><br />Dont hurt yourself be smart

funpilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

An A-frame with a horizontal bar (it would look like a child's swingset, only a bit smaller) is one way of accomplishing this. Another is to throw a chain over a set of doubled 2x4s that lay cross ways over your garage rafters. If it will support 300-400 pounds (it easily should, and easy to test... you can rig it to load it up a few inches above the floor, you want the extra load support for safety and dynamic purposes) you can then lift the power head off with a come along, or a fence stretcher. I've pulled the engine out of my jet boat several times in that fashion. Once the motor is in the air, you can move the boat foward, and drop the motor onto a cart or directly to an engine stand.<br /><br />good luck,<br />fp

Chum Slick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Save yourself a lot of trouble and either buy or rent an engine puller/hoist. A lot of auto parts houses rent them. You can buy a 2 ton puller for around $100.00 and I think maybe cheaper from Northern Hydraulics. If you do your own work on an outboard you are going to need one in the future any way.

GatorMike

Ensign

I still say if you don't have the tools and don't want to spend the money for a hoist you are going to use once and then have to store in your garage you can do without. The first time I did the job I used a chain hoist and an overhanging oak tree limb. The other time I rebuilt a crossflow V4 I lifted it off myself by hand and to re-mount it I had two strong sons help me. The powerhead stripped isn't that heavy.