Johnson 1975 85hp 85ESL75 Trim/Tilt

kesso

Seaman
I've only purchased my boat recently, so im still trying to work out if things are working correctly.<br /><br />On the weekend i was using the boat and it planes fine but i cant get it to trim the bow up as high as i would like. At low speeds i can trim the bow up high; however, when i increase speed the motor actually trims/tilts itself back down, i dont know if that is a function of the trim/tilt system. The boat is 5.1m long, im not sure if that information makes any difference.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 1975 85hp 85ESL75 Trim/Tilt

If your hydraulic unit has tilt/trim cylinders that are outside of the transom brackets, then you do have a tilt/trim unit and the usual cause of that problem is the stand up valve assy that is located in the bottom portion of the starboard cylinder.<br /><br />However, if your unit (lift) is between the transom brackets, with the electric motor/pump attached to the outside of the starboard transom bracket..... then the unit is simply a Hydraulic Power Tilt assy. This unit is simply designed to lift/tilt the engine when it isn't running, and it will not hold any angle when power (rpm) is applied.<br /><br />In the case of the power tilt only unit, the angle of attack (bow up) can only be attained via moving the reverse lock rod that is in the bottom holes of the transom brackets.

kesso

Seaman

Thanks for the rapid reply Joe. When i go home tonight i'll take a look at the tilt unit and see if i can work out which one i have. From memory, i have two sets of cylinders: a small set tucked inside the bracket and a larger set of cylinders, but, i cant remember if they are inside or outside the bracket; there seems to be some sort of hydraulic pump at the rear of the boat hidden away and bolted under a seat in the most DIY mechanic unfriendly place they could find. There is a hose that goes from the pump and over the transom to the tilt cylinders. When I tilt, it makes a bit more noise towards the max up tilt and max down tilt.

kesso

Seaman

Joe,<br /><br />I checked it out; I have a small set of cylinders inside the bracket and a large set outside the bracket. I took a digital photo but i could'nt work out how to get it on the reply. From the information i have given you, do you know what sort of tilt system i have.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Send the pic to my email address below. Sounds like a old stlye Power Tilt Trim.