No spark

Ironmike

Cadet
[/LIST] I have recently aquired a 55hp 1968 johnson TRL-10R. I was told it has not ran in 5-6 yrs. but did run. Research on this site has provided considerable information on Hydro-electric shift & that helped me understand & seems to work. The motor wiring was rotten & I have replaced all the bad areas. I do not have a service manual yet, looking at a newer 1971 manual it refers to special testing equipment. I would like to see if anyone could provide information to use ohm / votage meter. I have a new fully charged battery, 12volt power to the pack & 10.8volts to distributer when cranking. When I turn the key off there is spark at the plug. Please recomend a good service manual that would have testing instructions without needing to purchase special equipment. As this is an old motor I will not put many $ into it.

Ironmike

Cadet
Re: No spark

Thanks, Last night I was checking continuity on all wires & when I grounded out the black wire from points I got spark. Not sure what this means but was happy to see spark.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

means the amplifier is working. when you turn the key off it interupts power and the pack and coil sees it as points open or closed. most electronic ign do this. carefully clean the points or better replace them.also make sure the grond plate for the points is actually grounded. and on reassembly pay attention to the anti-reverse spring. if you leave it out you may find that motor runs about as well going CCW as CW. if its installed incorrectly it can also cause loss of spark. but my bet is after somuch sitting the points are oxidiezed.,<br /> good luck and keep posting

Ironmike

Cadet

Thanks, I am a first time user & love to tinker around with mechanical stuff. I find this forum excellent for information & greatly appreaciate the help.

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like rodbolt says, clean the points. I have a 64 speedtwin I got and it had been setting for 3-5 years and the points looked new but only spark to one cylinder, was told to clean points with alcohol but tried everything else first, got spark to both cylinders after I cleaned the points. Good luck

ToolMaster

Cadet

do all the older motors have points, i just recently got a 1978 85hp evinrude, i was told it ran a whiel back but it was sitting on the back of a baot wiht the cover off, meawhile the cover was just in the baot, too dam laxy to put the cover on, so the motor looks oxidized, but i hooked it up to my jump pack and it does spin the motor verry slowley, but i thik it was just i did not have any juice left to crank it good

Ironmike

Cadet

Thanks again for help. I cleaned points last night & have good spark on all 3 cyl. my next step will be connecting fuel & make shift tank. As I have it mounted on my work bench I am thinking a big garbage pail slid under. It is getting cold here in Ontario so doubtfully I will get a chance to mount on boat until spring. As it has sat for a long time is it o.k. to try wd-40 to make starting easier.

Ironmike

Cadet

Another item was battery charge. When I went to try things found my new battery dead i had left the key turned on, the only thing i can think of that would have drawen power was the shift soleniod as i hear this click when key is turned on. could that be enough to draw down a well chared new battery in one day. Any other recomendations for starting after 4-5yrs of sitting.

dolluper

Captain

you might find an old 68 55hp omc work shop manual on ebay 16 us used

Ironmike

Cadet

Thanks again for all the help. Hooked fuel up on the weekend & started great. Noted oil leaking from lower end around prop so will continue with this repair + given age I assume it would be a good idea to look at water pump. given there does not appear to be any method other than engine hot light to tell if it is pumping. Has anyone ever added a tell tale discharge tube to an older motor. I was thinking about drilling and taping into the thermostat housing to attach small tube & then route this through bottom housing.

dolluper

Captain

Good time for you to get a manual you will need spec's for the bottom end saw a 69 shop manual all the playing i did check it out ebay.com under omc shop manuals be at your door in about 3 ,4 days