40 hp Johnson Commercial No Cooling

10X

Cadet
I was getting ready to go duck hunting Friday afternoon and decided to run up my Honda 10 HP and my Johnson 40 HP Commercial. I filled a 30 gal drum, put the 40 HP in and it started right up after cleaning the starter motor brushes. The Johnson had no water out of the telltale or the exhaust. <br /><br />I pulled the pump apart and the impeller looks okay. It has a few circular rings worn in the cup and plate. Would these grooves cause it to not pump water?<br /><br />Where are the best prices on an impeller and full kit?<br /><br /><br />Model J40RWCT <br /><br />Serial # E5808***<br /><br />Thanks Harry

BugEyes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 40 hp Johnson Commercial No Cooling

If the impeller is looking good it should pump water. Check that the intake is not clogged and that the pipe up to the powerhead is OK. Also check that the impeller is not faulthy in the center so that it does not spin with the shaft.

fireman57

Captain

might run a small wire in the telltale in case there is a piece of sand or debris clogging it.

10X

Cadet

I went ahead and installed a new pump kit today. I can’t lift this thing on to the boat by myself like I did in the good old days. As soon as I get it on there I’ll run it up in the 30 gal. Drum.<br />Thanks for the advice.