How to test a VRO?

stsmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class
On the automatic oilers, VRO how does one test these before it is too late and the motor locks?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: How to test a VRO?

The 1992 and later factory service manuals show the testing procedures for the "VRO" pump. There is a vacuum and pressure test, a NO OIL alarm test, and an oil flow test.<br /><br />For more "VRO" info, go the the FAQ section in these forums and click on choice F.

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

One thing I did when I first purchased a motor with the VRO that I knew nothing about was to run a 50:1 fuel/oil mix until I was comfortable that the VRO was working. The extra oil won't hurt anything and no oil sure would.<br />I made a mark on my VRO oil tank and checked that oil was being used from the tank. I felt comfortable with the VRO after about three 6 gallon tanks were used. <br />FWIW, when I had to replace my fuel/VRO pump, it was because the fuel side quit working.

stsmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Guys this is the place for answers!<br /><br />Smitty

upfish123

Cadet

My owners manual says to use a 100:1 mix until you are sure the vro operation is working and oiling. I have heard too many stories of the vro failing and motors burnt so I always run the 100:1 ratio and have for years. Better safe than sorry. If you don't want to do that make sure you have some mix on board when the oil warning goes off!

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by upfish:<br /> make sure you have some mix on board when the oil warning goes off!
Or keep a pint of oil in your toolbox. Never had to use it, but I know it's there if it is ever needed.