Forklift seat as a captain's chair?

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander
Whilst out and about today (I'm off sick after some goon from the gas board totalled his van into the back of my SUV-result, me with whiplash, one undamaged SUV and a trashed gas van with my towbar extension impaling it)I happened upon a brand new forklift seat rather cheap. It's got lumbar support,removable adjustment rails, a quick-release lapstrap, full adjustment and looks like it'd be a good captain's chair. I've never heard of this being done before though and I'm wondering if anyone knows a reason I shouldn't do it.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Forklift seat as a captain's chair?

If it what you like, it sound great to me just ck the bolt mounting pattern on the seat to make sure it fits your mount--Bob

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Pretty much all nice boat seats do need to be covered when not in use. I would, however, check this forklift seat out to make sure it has UV protection. If there are any exposed steel parts, you probably want to treat those as well as possible so they don't start rusting on you really soon. That's about all I can think of though. Let us know how it turns out.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

It doesnt say it has UV protection-good point.They aren't cheap new though so I'd assume it should be quite hard wearing.All the steel parts are powdercoated.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Some forklifts are used outside so it might have at least some outdoor protection on it.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Does it still have that cool protective cage over the top? :) <br /><br />BTW, how's your back (correct anwswer: hurts like hell); hope the gas board has deep pockets.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

LOL no, the protective cage was a bit heavy.<br />I had a closer look at it and apart from it being black it looks ideal-better than most captains seats I've used and with more padding.I'll have to put a light coloured cover on it to stop it heating up on the 2 days a year it's sunny here...<br /><br />Back does hurt like hell, but at least I've got time to work on my boat-as long as I don't do any heavy lifting.It's just a pain having to get by on no wages until they decide to pay me for the time I can't work.

Bondo

Staff member

I've mounted Bassboat seats on a Paver........ They were Great,.. No arm rests though......<br /><br />Why Not Forklift seats in a boat ??...........<br /><br />Most equipment seats are like boat seats,.... If they're not covered,.. They'll Rot Out in 3 to 5 years............

rattana

Chief Petty Officer

I was in a boat with forklift seats installed. The thing I didn't like was when the boat went over waves you were constantly springing up and down because of the adjustable suspension. No matter how we adjusted it you were always bouncing. Just something to think about.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

This one hasn't got the inbuilt suspension-looks like I got a bargain then!<br /><br />Cheers all!