Anti-foul paint on trim tabs??

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey everyone, just installed a pair of lenco trim tabs and can't wait to use them. Anyone feel putting anti fouling paint on them is a neccesity and any recommendations??<br />Thanks!!

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Anti-foul paint on trim tabs??

If your in salt water and you don't trailer zincs are recomended.Some people recomend painting the tabs also, I don't think it would hurt. Personaly I don't paint mine.<br /><br /> Jim

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This may be a dumb question but do they make zincs specifically for tabs?

cuzner

Ya they do..came as a shock to me till I found them insaled on the used boat I bought. The boat is 10 years old, and they look to be in almost new condition, however the other 6 on the sterndrive where in rough shape, this leads me to believe the ones on the tabs are.nt doing a whole lot.... but the boat has never seen salt water.<br /><br /> Jim

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Anti-fouling paint will keep barnacles and other critters from attaching themselves. If you plan on keeping your boat in salt water(ie: moored in the water), you'll need to keep these critter off. A boat lift or trailering eliminates this problem. If you don't have to paint it, don't. It's a pain to keep up with it, and actually is NOT a selling point, when you sell it.<br />My trim tabs have zincs. They are 4 inch discs bolted to the upper side of each tab and are corroding - although a lot slower than all the other zincs!

mattttt25

Commander

i had the same question. so, you're all saying if the boat stays in the water (where every good boat should) you should zinc and paint the tabs? do you leave the zinc unpainted?

cuzner

Hey mattt, the zincs stay unpainted.

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, the boat does stay in the water so looks like i'll have to get some zincs and anti fouling paint. Wasn't looking to drill holes into my new tabs!!!

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Make sure you use the correct primer and paint or you will be sorry :eek: Charlie

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ants<br /><br />Never paint zincs! <br />Keep them clean always, by abrading them if necessary. It's the clean surface of the zinc that promotes 'sacrificial action'.<br /><br />As for gstanton's comment about the zincs on his tabs corroding slower than the zincs elsewhere, the reason for that is this - <br /><br />The tabs are made from stainless (prob 304 grade), which corrodes extremely slowly. The zincs in contact with it are there not so much to protect the tabs, but to stop the stainless from speeding up the corrosion of other, less noble metals elsewhere on the boat - like your aluminum prop or your alloy outboard leg.<br /><br />Because other zincs are nearer to the outboard leg- maybe even in contact with it - they will corrode faster. If they corrode away completely, then you'll find that the zincs on the tabs will start to corrode more quickly. <br /><br />It's belt and braces insurance.

cuzner

I,d post a picture of the zincs on my tabs.... but I still haven't figured out how to post pics.<br /><br /><br /> Jim

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well they are primed and painted, bought a couple of disc clamp zincs and have to now drill the holes and I'll be set. Getting close!!!

wizard

Cadet

Bennett suggests using R3 rudder zincs - 1/2 on each tab - no paint under or on zinc

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

"no paint under or on zinc"<br /><br />Definitely. Zincs must have good metal to metal contact.

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

nobody told me not to paint the area on the tab between the the zincs!! Too late..they're on and the tbs are painted. Hopefully its' ok......

mattttt25

Commander

antsgrady- not ok. zinc isn't doing anything for you, since you insulated it from the tab. it needs a clean "electrical" contact.<br /><br />i was at the dealer the other day and asked this questio about painting tabs and using zincs. the guy i spoke to said they don't do either- tabs will be just fine unpainted and without zincs. not saying i buy this story, but who knows.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What Mattttt says about stainless tabs not needing zincs is right.<br /><br />But - here's the forgotten rub - the stainless is a 'noble' metal. So although it probably won't show any signs of corrosion without zincs fitted to it, it can hasten the corrosion of the 'weaker' metals elsewhere on the transom - like your aluminum prop or your alloy outboard leg.<br /><br />Zincs are fitted to stainless tabs as insurance. They 'sacrifice' to save the stainless causing other metals to 'sacrifice.' <br /><br />As far as the 'nice clean electrical contact' is concerned - the zincs would be better if fitted to an unpainted metal surface, but as long as the bolts holding them to the tabs have made metal-to-metal contact, that's plenty good enough.<br /><br />Belt and braces.

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, the bolt isn't painted and I was thinking the same thing. Tabs and remote are all done now. Can't wait to try them out!!!