walleyehed , Walker, Steve Huminski, fireman57, rodbolt, dolluper , OBJ, RyanMcR

eula30

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I have a Johnson 200hp model: 200TL76S, I have install new sparks plugs, De-Carb. new coils, rectifier, I have sparks in all cylinder, compression is good but the motor is still miss firing, I'm only getting about 2000 rpm at full throttle, but I can go anywhere at idle speed, motor start right up when cold or hot, I’m running out of option please any help I will really appreciated.<br />Thank you

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: walleyehed , Walker, Steve Huminski, fireman57, rodbolt, dolluper , OBJ, Rya

Re: walleyehed , Walker, Steve Huminski, fireman57, rodbolt, dolluper , OBJ, Rya

If you have spark, the only thing holding you back sounds like fuel....Have you checked all 6 plugs after an atempted WOT run, the kill-check??

Walker

Captain

Probably time for a carb tear down, soak, clean.

eula30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, I have tear down crab, soak and clean all 3, I did check the sparkplugs and some wore with a little bid of oil but some wore very dark like charcoal, I have clean them try it again and the same thing happens. No idea why is doing that. what is kill-check?<br />Thank you

walleyehed

Admiral

The worn plugs may have too much resistance to fire under compression/heat...<br />Kill-check: Full throttle for at least 1 minute, then just shut the key switch off...when boat stops, pull plugs and see if you have any that are different than the others...color mainly, maybe a dry one etc...

eula30

Petty Officer 1st Class

walleyehed thanks, ones I find out witch plugs is different, how can I fix the problem? Why they are getting that Black? I did that test before and I saw 1 spark plug that was different than the other, I did change the coil on that spark plug but it makes no difference still getting black. <br />Thanks

eula30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Image229.jpg
<br />
Image228.jpg
<br /><br />Here is how the spark plugs look like. 5 are wet with oil and 1 was really clean and dry<br />Thanks

walleyehed

Admiral

There is your answer...You have a main jet plugged (maybe more partially plugged) in the carb that refs. that cyl. (the dry one).<br />I would also recommend a compression check on that cylinder as well.<br />Have you pulled the main jets and cleaned them???? Should be a .062 jet. Number bits are great for cleaning them, but a very small piece of soft wire, (not stainless wire) can be used in conjunction with carb cleaner to open them up.

eula30

Petty Officer 1st Class

The main jets are located inside the crab? Or they are the one located in the top front part of the crab. Should I replace them? I don't think they are that expensive. The spark plug was on cylinder number 6, how can I find out witch crab is for that cylinder.<br />Thank you

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

pull all the carbs and THOROUGHLY clean them. remove the main jets at a minimum. recheck all your spark at the misfire speed. you may have to connive/rent a test wheel. either that clean plug is not getting fuel or its gas washed due to not fireing.recheck compression first. it does not take long running with plugged jets to scuff a piston.<br /> good luck and keep posting

Walker

Captain

The main jets are in the carburator bowls.

fireman57

Captain

I had crabs on my boat once but the doctor got rid of them. Never had witch crabs though. (humor) Okay, bad humor.

eula30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Inside the Carb bowl there is 2 silver round plugs do I have to remove the 2 silver plugs also? Or should I just leave them along. <br /> I will remove all 3 crabs and clean them ageing tomorrow.<br />Thank you

eula30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh men, you really make me laugh, I didn’t even notice that.<br />Thanks

walleyehed

Admiral

The main jets are behind screw-in plugs at the bottom of the carb bowl on the sides of the carbs. Yours may have 2 plugs on each side...the bottom is the mains and the next up is the intermediates.<br />Rodbolt is correct..clean through-out...I did not want to insult if a carb job had been done, as you said, but it's very easy to miss the important areas that most "assume" are clean.

eula30

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did a compression test today: <br /><br />1- 115<br />2- 112<br />3- 117<br />4- 113<br />5- 110<br />6- 113<br /><br />I did notice that spark plug number 6 was very clean but it had water in it (No Dry), so I remove the power head and found a big hole in the blue gasket where the cylinder number 6 is. The head gasket looks ok, but the blue gasket looks really bad. My question what is the blue gasket for? Do you guys think that where my problem is? If you look at the picture you will notice that the number 6 cylinder head is much cleaner than the other 2 and I also so a little bid of milky water in cylinder number 6. Any Idea I will really appreciate.<br />Thanks<br /><br /><br />
Image008.jpg
<br />
Image007.jpg

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

I don't have that gasket on my Evinrude 200. The cylinder is clean because water leaking in the cylinder will effectively burn off the carbon deposits. <br /><br />Replace the gasket. Again not sure what it's for.<br /><br />Also, to clear up your terminology, what you removed is the cylinder head. The Power Head is the name given to the entire engine assembly as mounted on the adapter to the lower unit. AKA a long block.

RyanMcRae

Recruit

Does a lot of gas/oil seem to leak out after shutting it off?? Try simple solutions like firing order. This may sound dumb but I had the same problem with my '63 65hp johnson. Check the spark plug wires and make sure they are in the right order. You just might be over thinking the problem

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The blue gasket looks like the head cover gasket. This shouldn't let water get into the cylinders though. The head gasket, from what I can see from the pictures is in pretty nasty shape. May pay to replace both head gaskets??

dolluper

Captain

Looks like lots of water leaking and ending up in #6 fresh gaskets is a must from your compression test I would replace my other head and cover gaskets too but make sure you torque them rightin the proper order