Starter solenoid question

Phil Miller

Cadet
According to the testing instructions posted on this site in the FAQ section, if the top small post on the side gets power when you turn the key, but nothing happens, the solenoid is bad. Mine is hot, but nothing happens (no click, nothing). The thing is, I just bought it new yesterday. What are the chances I bought a new bad soleniod. A'm I missing something here?<br />Lennyloafer

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter solenoid question

hello<br /> if you have 12volts on one small post to ground does the other small post have a good ground connection. posting year and horsepower would be a big help cause then we could tell you which wire colors and whether or not your model uses a safty switch on the throttle.<br /> good luck and post more

DHPMARINE

Captain

lennyloafer,As you say one small post is getting battery +.Now you need the other small post to get battery - .This is done either directly to the block,or I think in your case thru a neutral safety switch.The switch could be out of adjustment,or it could be bad.<br />While possible,I've never had a new bad solenoid.<br /><br />DHP

Phil Miller

Cadet

The neutral safety switch is in the gear box, right? I don't see one. I think someone wired past it and took it out years ago. Is this possible?<br />Lenny

phatmanmike

Captain

the nuetral safety switch is in the control box, where you do your shifting and trhottling, not in the gearbox.

Phil Miller

Cadet

I meant the control box. But there's nothing in there except the starter switch and the push/pull forward & reverse switch, and I'm pretty sure that motor will start in gear. Think I've done that before.

stsmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you are getting 12v to the starter and its not turning try bench testing the starter.<br /><br />Smitty