piston pin bearings..for looper

tony120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have been seeing, caged and non caged bearings for my 140 looper. I was wondering, which is better? non caged has more bearings, to me thats the way to go, but any info please?

tony120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: piston pin bearings..for looper

sorry it is for my piston pin bearings.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You can use either at the rpm youre probably going to turn. Loopers came with caged and full compliment bearings from the facory -- there is no wrong one. <br /><br />The caged are much easier to work with and is what the vast majority of race guys use.

tony120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks Dhadley,another quick ques. what piston to wall clearance should I use with non forged pistons? thanks, again, and again...etc

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

It depends on what brand. All the better manufacturers dont want the machinist to worry about piston to wall clearance as its too difficult to measure a cam ground, tapered and barrel shaped piston accurately. They would rather the machine shops hold to a specific bore size. <br /><br />You may even have two cast pistons that measure differently because of the alloy package which allow for different expansion rates. If your supplier insists you "fit" each piston, you may want to think about a different supplier.<br /><br />If youre building a 1988 or newer V4 looper, think about using the 1993 & newer V6 looper pistons. They are much lighter. The motor will idle amazingly smoother.