Evinrude 70hp - Water Hot

Hi Guys<br /><br />While running my outboard off the hose at home the other day, i noticed the water coming out of the pee hole started to slow down, its still coming out but not as fast as normal, i took the engine cover off and noticed that the transparent tube joined to the pee hole that there was air bubbles in it along with water, does this indicate a worn impeller or maybe even defect on water pump? the engine is a 1979 model,also normally the water coming out of the pee hole is quite cool, on this occasion it was getting hot. thanx in advance for any help given.<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Eddy

Sherman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Evinrude 70hp - Water Hot

I just had the same problem on a 1996 6 hp and it turned out to be thermostat related. On my 115 1979 I just replaced the thermostats and put in a new water pump assembly. The new pump pumps a lot more water and the new thermostats have been changed to stainless steel(oem). I run 100% in the salt.

stsmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You need a water pump most likely. Pull it and check before you run it anymore. They don't like to get hot.<br /><br />Smitty

ANDREW SMITH

Seaman Apprentice

Eddy, your engine is operating normally. If I remember the cooling circuit( and you can look in the very back of the manual to verify), the water pump first fills the exhaust system, then the crankcase and heads, then as the t-stat opens, the hot water dumps. Your tell-tale hose is connected to the exhaust plate so when the t-stat is closed, the water pressure to the tell tail is high. When your t-stat is open, the tell tail slows down and the water is warm. When running on muffs, do not exceed 3000rpm and do not run for very long. Hope this helps, and good luck!

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Eddy,<br /><br />You've got some conflicting answers there!<br />Coupla questions may narrow the search:<br /><br />You say the water from the pee hole slows down. As has been said, this is normal when the engine reaches operating temperature and the stat opens. Question is – does it happen when you're on the lake, or are you noticing something new and different here?<br /><br />Water coming from the pee hole should be cool at first, and when the flow reduces (stat opening) there should be a significant temperature rise. Question again as before – does this happen on the lake, or is the temperature rise on muffs excessive?<br /><br />Answers lead to the obvious conclusion – if it happens on the lake, no problem. If it’s something new, it needs investigating. The pump is obviously working, and so is the stat, but their efficiency may be suspect. Just remember that an engine often runs hotter on muffs and in still air. Is it your summer down there now?<br /><br />Ciao