1956 evinrude sportwin 10

ddmopowar

Cadet
I have just purchased my first boat, a 1960 12" Montgommery Wards Seaking V bottom with a 1956 Evinrude Sportwin 10 ( I have named her the Redneck Ranger). I bought it from a first time boat owner that had it for three months! When I got it the motor would turn over but not run. He told me that it ran like a top till he tried to "fine tune the idle". So I got it home rigged a stand and put a garbage can under it with water. I backed all the adjustments back down to uh zero I guess you would say, then increasing till I finally got it to run, When I got it running it smoked like you wouldnt believe more like a fog machine then a motor! I am using the fuel that he had mixed so I am assuming that he has way too much oil in the gas??????? also as it ran (remember I no nothing about outboards) the peehole for lack of a better term was just spitting out water I figured there would be a stream! Is this ok! Also the water in the can has a slight layer of oil on it! I only let it run a min or two because of the pee hole issue? and the smoke so it is probably a decent amount of oil for the running time! There are pictures in my yahoo profile if interested (dd_mopowar) I hope I have given enough info for you guys to help me out. This is my first post, in what I am sure will be a long list of idiot like questions such as I was told that putting a casting deck in a 12' v bottom wasnt a good idea is this true! I do plan to work on her all winter, and try to get her into good enough shape that she looks like A Ranger bass boat built in a trailer park! Thanks for your time

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1956 evinrude sportwin 10

Welcome aboard iboats dd....!<br /><br />Gas mix on these old shakers is 25:1. This is cause of all the bushings used in them. So it will smoke more and will be really apparent if running in a garbage can.<br /><br />What you want to watch is the engine temp. If you have water spirting out the exhaust relief ports, the pump should be working OK. Did it warm up OK? When idling, you should be able to touch the flat place on top of the block just forward of the head for several seconds before removing your fingers. Most of these engines will run at around 143 degrees at idle. If it dosen't warm up, then the t-stat may need replaced.<br /><br />Setting up the needles is not hard. At wide open throttle, set the high speed first for best rpm. Careful though not to set it to lean. Then come down to idle and set the low speed. Again, don't set it to lean.<br /><br />Don't hesitate to post any questions here on the forums.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi DD,<br /> Your motor doesn't have a thermostat (didn't show up until 1959 on the 10hp) so it'll run cooler than OBJ's quoted 143. However, you should still be able to hold your hand on the motor block without scorching yourself.<br /> It's quite hard to set the needles in a test tank/can, as the motor will injest its own smoke. It really ought to be done on a boat.<br /> The oil on the water isn't uncommon in a closed system like a test can. On the open water it is spread over the wider surface and evaporates quickly. The smoke is the same way - more concentrated in a closed system than the open water...<br />- Scott

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Anytime I get a used motor, three things are automatic. Plugs, gearlube, and water pump. Those are the big 3 maintenance items on any outboard. Your high speed needle should be about 3/4 turn open, but that will vary by up to 1/4 turn. Same with the low speed which starts at 1 turn open. <br /><br />Once you get it tuned and running right, you'll want to set them so you can easily get back to the same adjustments. I'm not sure if your motor has knobs or levers on the carb adjustments. Johnson usually used levers and Evinrudes usually used knobs. In either case, loosen the screw snugging it to the needle and move it to the middle number (if knobs) or point the levers at eachother. Then snug the screws back up and recheck the running. That way you'll know where it ran well once upon a time.<br /><br />I wouldn't be afraid to run the premix at 32:1 with an outboard oil. Thats 4oz per gal.<br /><br />A casting deck on the front of a 12 footer is a bad idea. Amidships or a bit forward of that would be fine.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Yer right Scott....thanks for the correction. :)

ddmopowar

Cadet

Wow, when I signed up here I thought I would have to wait days for an answer, that I would have to weigh with a grain of salt! Waking up to three replies that are right on point just a few hours after my original post sure blew my mind! Thanks by the way! I have pretty much set the motor to the side since we have had pretty cold weather here the past few weeks, to concentrate on getting years of dirt and algae build up off the boat. I went to the nearest bass pro shops (St. Louis very disappointing having been to the one in Cincinnati Oh, ....Ill be at the Springfield Mo Bass Pro Next weekend) and picked up a cleaner called Aluminex (hydrochloric acid and phosphoric acid) which said for aluminum boats and pontoons! It did strip all the build up off of the boat but left the aluminum with a white tint to it. I took a few metal polishes (Mothers, nioxin, neverdull, and brasso) to it trying to get more of a shine to it with no avail. Not really wanting a mirror finish but would like it to look nice. Any ideas? once again thanks for your time, and I am taking pics as i go and posting them to my yahoo profile briefcase (dd_mopowar) if any one is interested.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

The white goes pretty deep into the alumimum. Not much you can do except maybe do the whole toon and make it all white. It fades to gray after awhile. The only way to keep the pontoons looking original is to keep it on a lift. Paint isn't much of an option, either. It just doesn't stick well.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

DD....you may want to post your cleaning questions over in the "Boat Questions" forum. They talk a lot about cleaning and such. Sure there would be some good advice there.<br /><br />Let us know when your ready to start on the engine... :)