air box help needed

fishweed

Seaman
I have purchased my first real boat this summer and have managed to keep from tinkering with anything through sheer will power --- until today.<br /><br />I have a 93 Johnson 200 GT Venom and I just had to take off the air box to see those monster carbs I knew were in there. When I loosened the bottom bolts, a mix of water and straight gas leaked out. I did not expect to see fluid coming from an air box, especially water. Is this normal? :confused: <br /><br />I store my motor in the tilted up position supported with the transom saver. I figure that the gas may leak out of the carbs because of the tilled storage, but the water has me stumped.

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: air box help needed

fishweed/<br />a little more info may help.<br />Have you run this motor recently?<br /><br />Did it run okay?<br /><br />Has the motor been 'swamped' lately? Partly sunk?<br /><br />DHP

fishweed

Seaman

The motor has run fine all summer.<br /><br />Now that I have calmed down and had time too think about it, the man who sold me the boat came directly from the car wash to the boat ramp to show me the boat. I'll bet he pressure washed the 11 years of crud off the motor and got water into the box.<br /><br />Should I still store my motor in the tilted up position or does it really matter??

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Welcome!!<br /><br />I hope your right about the car wash. We've seen that. But remember -- never, never, never run that motor under a load with the airbox cover off.<br /><br />Some gss and/or oil is normal in the airbox. Next time you run it (in the water, not on a flushette) check it again.