choke problem?

mlryan

Seaman
Before i start the motor i have to put it in full choke and put the throttle in the WO position. Pull the cord and it starts up and runs super duper rough at low rpm. I take the choke off and it throttles up and then slowly dies out and still runs really rough. Does anybody know if there are thermostats on these engines? The mix is right and i've replaced all of the hoses and fuel line. Points and coils are new. Plugs are new.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: choke problem?

Sounds like the carb is fouled up. You must disassemble the carb to clean it...<br />- Scott

Paul Moir

Admiral

Like Chinewalker and Joe Reeves said, rebuild the carb. It's gotta be the problem.<br /><br />There shouldn't be any thermostats in the 5hp engine. There are on it's sister - the 6hp engine - underneath the plate with three bolts in it on the top of the head. I belive your outboard shares the same head, so it could be that one was fitted to it though.

mlryan

Seaman

does anybody know where i can get a rebuild kit, how difficult a rebuild is, and around how much they cost?

Paul Moir

Admiral

Get the OEM one from a dealer or here. The NAPA/Iboats/etc aftermarket kit is a dollar or two cheaper, but it doesn't come with a plastic float to replace the troublesome cork one you no doubt still have. Around $20 anyway. PN 439071.<br /><br />I notice you've done some extensive work on that engine - have you happened to take a compression reading?<br /> Better price here, but you'll probably have to wait.

mlryan

Seaman

no compression reading, ive been put on a spending freeze by the Mrs. so i cant get a compression test tool. I have just about replaced every seal that you can think of on the engine and cooling system, what the heck might as well do the same thing to the carb. I've done everything but rebuild a carb before, it sounds pretty easy but is it as easy as it sounds?

Paul Moir

Admiral

Yup. Just take it off, and work on it at the kitchen table under strong light. If you work in a tray, you won't loose any parts. The only thing difficult about them is that they're small.<br />One word of advice - if the main jet is stuck, just leave it in there. Don't bother making work for yourself by chewing it up.<br />If the Mrs. is shortsighted and has cut the garage budget in favour of food, toiletries & other useless things, you might want to take apart the carb and see what can be done with it anyway. Best to work with new parts, but in a pinch get inventive. Unfortunately, you only have yourself to blame then if it lets you down.

mlryan

Seaman

thanks alot for your help paul i'll take your advice and give it a go