Engine Starting Problems

tarheel38

Recruit
I have a 1993 Johnson 150 Fast Strike outboard model# VJ150GLETG that I am having problems trying to get started. The motor is attached to a 1993 18 ft Dynatrak Ebbtide. The problems started a while back with the motor being hard to start up and once it was started you would try and give it some throttle to take off and it would die. This would go own for several minutes before it would finally take off and run. But once it sat shut-off for a period of time you would have to go thru the same process of getting it started. Yesterday, October 10 2004, a couple friends and I were putting the boat in to do some fishing. We got the boat in the water and went to try and start it up. I turned the key over and the starter kicked over but I never heard it engage with the flywheel to turn the engine over. We tried for about 1 hour trying to start it up but the starter would only whine. The tilt for the motor worked at the motor, on the throttle and at the bow of the boat but now they don't do anything when engaged and when you turn the key it doesn't do a thing but the battery still has a charge. Any suggetion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: Engine Starting Problems

If it's not cranking, your first problem is academic. The first thing you need to do is get the starting circuit fixed. If your sure the battery is hot, I would start there. Remove and clean all connections - battery, solenoid, starter, and grounds. Even though they look good, there may be hidden corrosion that needs to be cleaned off. Once you get it to crank, the additional problems can be addressed.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Engine Starting Problems

Also get a full charge on the battery. Also - also - frequently cleaning all the connections won't do it as corrosion can creep up a cable.