88' 120 running rough

Jonahw

Cadet
All,<br />I have an 88' 120 evinrude, the whole top end was rebuilt 2 years ago, not sure if the electrical componets were also replaced. Compression good 120-125 across all 4. Now for the problem: The motor was running fine last weekend at the end of the day it started coughing and missing, then it died and would restart be not stay running long enough for me to limp in(towed in by navy patrol boat). I thought it was gas but I have 2 filters both new and the bulb stays hard during the whole process. pumped on bulb during problem but no change. <br /><br />I checked for good spark, this is where I think the problem lies.The left 2 cylinders(looking at the back of motor)have strong blue spark to the point I can not pull the wires off w/out a good shock. The right 2 cylinders seem to be very weak, when pulled off while idling the motor does not seem to change. I have both swapped and ohmed out the coils, no changes here (I followed my service book instructions). I also checked the power pack and stator, I believe the power pack is fine but am not sure about the stator, half the test is good other half could be me doing it wrong. I think I have a bad power pack or stator.<br /><br />Any inputs or avenues to pursue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jonah

Jonahw

Cadet
Re: 88' 120 running rough

Just a little help would be great!<br />Jonah

Walker

Captain

It's really hard to say what might be your problem. You really need a spark tester as you really can't tell much by pulling the wires one at a time. You can get one at most any auto parts store.

Jonahw

Cadet

When I checked the spark I pulled the plug and cranked it over on the left side it was blue and jumped about an 1/2 inch gap to the block. On the right side of the motor the spark was more orange-yellow and had to be almost touching the block to spark. The stator looks good but from what I have read I am leaning towards this being the problem. <br />On a side note is the trigger part of the stator? I was thinking just to replace the stator and powerpack. I can't tell if anything else is involved. This would cost me the same as taking it to a mechanic here in Hawaii. This would make sure the spark problem was fixed unless there is another part involved.