1979 Johnson 35HP Stator Plate

drewsimpson

Recruit
The stator on my 35hp Johnson is rubbing the fly wheel when the engine is running. I recently replaced the stator. Not sure if it was rubbing the old stator, but may have been what caused it to go bad. Unfortunately, I don't have it anymore.<br />There is about 1/16" play between the brass/bronze race on the stator plate and the round aluminium part of the block on which it rides.<br /><br />If I push the stator plate to the port while engine is running, it stops the rubbing, and much quieter.<br /><br />My options: <br />1. Replace the stator plate ($80+).<br />2. Grind offending node of stator down until it doesn't hit (are stators ever out of round?).<br />3. Ping race to create a tighter fit.<br />4. Have brass added to race (I tried this, and welder couldn't get it to stick without melting down stator, which happened some trying).<br />5. Put a spring on port side to keep tension on stator(OK, that one is far fetched).<br /><br />Any information would be great,<br />Thanks,<br />Drew.

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1979 Johnson 35HP Stator Plate

Visit your friendly OMC/Bomb dealr. He should have a service bulletin pertaining to your specific problem.(bulletin came out in the early '80's, I believe). The "boss" on the block (which supports the mag. plate) is worn and the bulletin gives you the part number for the kit you will need to relocate the mag. plate and misc. additional hardware. It is not an inexpensive kit but the alternative is to replace the block!