Special tools, or is there another way?

mattjeanes

Seaman Apprentice
I'm in the process of a rebuild of my 1974 15hp. Reading through the Clymer manual I find mention of removing and fitting piston wrist pins in a piston cradle and using a special tool to push the pins. Is the cradle necessary? Is there an easy alternative? What about pin pushing tools - can I use a suitable piece of bar? The manual also mentions a special tool for fitting the pin retainers - will pliers do? I live in inland UK where friendly marine mechanics are very hard to come (all I've got is a Mercury dealer nearby who wants to sell me a new one)by so any help will be much appreciated.

G DANE

Commander
Re: Special tools, or is there another way?

Hi Matt J<br /><br />There is a cheapo automotive tool, consisting of a band running around the piston, with a hole in it for the piston pin, and a nut at the other side. It has a long threaded pin with a T grip running thru it. With this you can turn the pin out. When reassembling, put pistons in the oven and pins in freezer, will go in easy.

zantz

Seaman Apprentice

Gdane is right, I just rebuilt my 60hp and did the same thing, heat the piston, freeze the pin. They slide right in with very little force. Another trick I asked about and got an answer to was the needle bearings. Use Vasoline to hold them in place while you slide the wrist pin in.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Vasoline is a poor grease to use for a reassembly. It will hold the needle's in place while you put the part together. It has poor lubricating qualities, and will tend not to wash away on start-up. That's the reason for the OMC needle bearing assembly grease. As for wrist pin removal, remove retainers with needle nose pliers, drive out wrist pin with a deep socket while holding the piston in your hand. This is not difficult on this small engine. Use a brass, or plastic mallet when removing wrist pin.